Canadian DeSoto manufacturer tag

ckowner

Can anyone help? I am looking for the oval firewall tag for a Canadian 1930 DeSoto (later years may be identical) which has Chrysler Motor Corporation - Desoto _ Windsor, Ontario. The one I have is very difficult to read, as it must have been etched and not stamped. If anyone can help me find an original manufacturing tag or a very clear picture of one so that I can reproduce one, I would be for ever grateful!

I am looking for a readable tag for our Canadian '36 Dodge RS Coupe so that we can get some made too - we're in the same boat as you are. Is your tag readable enough to copy? I know a firm here in Ontario that can do an exact repro if we have enough to work from. In the mean time if anyone can loan us both original Canadian manufacturer's tags to work from, (all DPCD cars from the 30s welcome!) I can get you some very nice repros made. All I have for mine is a rusted oval - the paint is gone and I can't make out the details. These would really dress up an original or a restoration.

Jim Hazlewood

My tag is very difficult to decifer. To the best of what I can see, it has the DeSoto coat of arms on the left. The lettering is very difficult to make out, DESOTO MOTOR CORP

OF CANADA

DIVISION OF CHRYSLER CORP

WINDSOR, ONTARIO

MADE IN CANADA

this would indicate that the name tags for Dodge, Plymouth, DeSoto would be different. A good high resolution digital picture of an original is all that is needed. Thanks

Rick

Guest martylum

I see you too are a CK owner. When I restored by CK roadster Pulfer and Williams sold me data plates. I see that LaVine Restorations has taken over the business. check out their website.

Martin Lum

30 CK roadster

Guest martylum

CK-I checked my firewall and it has a brand new Mfg. tag with made in the USA so P&W must have at one time made the US plates. Looks wonderful.

Martin Lum

30 CK

Guest martylum

Using photoshop and the new U. S. tag you could change the made in...part and make a new Canadian screen to print a new tag on polished aluminum.

Marty Lum 30 CK U. S. car

Thanks for the suggestion Marty, but the tag that I have is so weathered, That I would really like to know exactly what the wording is and what it looks like. Once I have that info, I know that the technology that we have today makes it easy to make a reproduction.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...