Repairing cracked steering wheel

414TATA

Hello Gentlemen

Do you have a success story of the repair of a cracked steering wheel like this one?

I know these wheels can be replaced as a repo part, but at this time they are a little pricey for me.

The wheel is solid but the appearance bothers me.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Wayne B.

1941 Buick Super 51

post-78086-143139178702_thumb.jpg

post-78086-143139178733_thumb.jpg

post-78086-143139178761_thumb.jpg

Wayne,

This link covers the repair process in great detail -

. The biggest problem will be the repaired sections will not have that same great look as the material will not be a perfect match (there are some speciality parts catalogs that sell material that is supposed to be a much better match - don't remember which ones right off hand). Imagine you would have to paint the wheel to get one color all over. Good luck

I had the wheel for my 41' 76c redone by Richard Gump in Reno, OH (Marietta) for $175.00 and its beautiful, I also had him do one for my 48' Willys-Overland Jeepster and my 48' Buick 56c. He is well known by others on this forum, his number is 740-374-8169

[quote name=

414TATA]Hello Gentlemen

Do you have a success story of the repair of a cracked steering wheel like this one?

I know these wheels can be replaced as a repo part, but at this time they are a little pricey for me.

The wheel is solid but the appearance bothers me.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Wayne B.

1941 Buick Super 51

Guest Grant Magrath

Re-casting would be the best solution. The old soy based plastics expand and contract too much to be repaired effectively in my opinion. The steering wheel repair kits are designed for more modern plastics.

Cheers

Grant

why not try the repair kits? they can be done for about $20.00 and is well within the capabilities of most anyone. Cost to paint and clearcoat after repair is the highest cost. if it cracks again, then have it recast by an expert. I have not heard of a failure of the epoxy repairs when done per instructions. Soy Plastics came into use by Ford in 1941. Before that date, phenolics were used. I don't know when GM started using soy resins.

Bob