Newbie question about painting exhaust

Dwight Romberger

Dwight,

When I replaced my exhaust manifold on my '40 LTD, I painted it black with VHT paint.

I have since wrapped the pipe from the heat riser area clear down past the steering sector and master cylinder to the muffler connection at the "X" frame hole.

Then I repainted the wrap with VHT paint again, to stop any "fraying".

My goal is to reduce the heat in the engine compartment, 'cause here in Colorado we have a lot of 6% grades that go for miles, and "vapor lock" is a way of life, especially with us having to burn corn-gas.

It took 50' of 2" wrap to do the job, and I watched Youtube vidieos on how to do it first. I used several aircraft clamps to secure the wrap,and soaked it in water first.

I am quite pleased with the results. Have yet to test it out on the open road.

I did paint the rear of my exhaust system with black VHT paint, and the mufffler is a gold anodized unit that looks quite new.

Just my $ .02

Mike in Colorado

Dwight, Eventually all exhaust parts will rust unless they're stainless. I used to clean and paint my Model A exhaust each year with Krylon high heat silver and it stayed nice for 16 years. I also painted the exhaust manifold with it and it kept the rust away for a long time and looked good too! I have painted systems with Hirsch stainless coating which also looks good and seems to work fine although it can be a little harder to brush. Both of these paints need the heat of exhaust to cure. If you chose to use a black high heat paint,read the can's instructions. Some ,like Krylon, require an undercoat of high heat silver under the black. If not,it just flakes off. I always paint my exhausts on antique cars simply for protection during restoration and it does help in the long run as plain steel parts rust very quikly!

Dwight,

Yes it was, and the stuff costs about a buck a foot. Using 2" wrap and overlapping by 1" it costs about 6 1/4" to advance 1" on the pipe. C = 3.141xD.

If you remember the old Jaguar straight 6's their exhaust manifolds were black porcelain coated and it only lasted a few years before it started to chip off up near the cylinder head.

Best Regards,

Mike in Colorado