1927 Fast Four Speedo Drive Gear

Guest Fuimus

My previous Thread on Valve Clearance morphed into the Speedometer Gear, so I am opening a new thread. This is the last response I received from Jason

VALVE WORKING CLEARANCE - 1927 Fast Four<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

<!-- google_ad_section_start -->Very nice car, looks like you have a well organized and neat garage and I am envious. I will look into this a little bit and with your help and hopefully others help I can get a better understanding of what to look for, at this point I am still unsure since you dont have a picture of what the actual part looks like.

I am assuming it is separate from the speedometer cable? Is that correct? The speedo cable attaches to this extension?

I certainly do not have one myself but will start asking around and looking for one once I am clear on what the part is.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Thanks Jason. I have read a number of threads and I see that you have helped many new owners over the years. I really appreciate your interest.

Believe me, the mechanic I have working with me does his best to mess up the garage! I have a 1917 Ford Model T alongside this. It is in good original condition and still has its original seats! Was in a museum for decades. So I am doing a sympathetic preservation, keeping it "as is" but with all mechanicals refurbished and re-authenticated where necessary. I have learned that over 80 years, the dozens of mechanics and owners who have worked on these old cars, often did not have access to original parts or information, so just did what was necessary with what was available to keep them going.

I am including more photos of the Transmission, as you call it in the US (Here in SA it is a Gearbox!).

The Casting Numbers on the Transmission Casing are

20725 BA-34842

I hope this means something.

The Speedo Gear is in a Brass Extension to the Transmission (you can see where the wine cork plug is fitted) and the cable is separate and fixed with a machine thread female coupler. The Speedo Gear is a single shaft with a gear at the bottom, running in a bush through the casing and driving the speedometer through the cable fixed as noted above. I cannot find any cross section details of this arrangement. As can be seen, the handbrake mechanism on the prop shaft is quite complex, but it does work.

I do not know if it is important that this is a Right Hand Drive, which positions the Handbrake right rather than left of the Transmission, fixed onto the Brass Extension.

post-84037-143139166556_thumb.jpg

post-84037-143139166564_thumb.jpg

post-84037-143139166566_thumb.jpg

Thanks and Regards

Brian

We also use the term gearbox pretty often, in my experience just as often as transmission.

Let me see if I can find a photo of the part and if I can I will post it here.

Surely someone here has one but often times people do not want to step up to the plate to help because they hate to make a mistake and without clarification on whats needed they may not offer until they are perfectly clear.

I am sure that at least Mike or Pete or any one of the 4 cyl guys will chime in and tell us if the earlier trans carried this bushing, maybe even Pete will have one in that stash of parts he got with his car.

I can find out by going through the books but it would be much easier if one of these guys would let us know.

How about it Ray?

I may be wrong but I would not think right hand or left hand drive would make any difference for this part. If it does than I guess it will make this much more difficult.

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Hello Brian, I am still looking into this and will post some photos first chance, if I am correct on the part from what I understand in what I have read this was a detachable piece that was made in that fashion because the vehicles these trannies were used in varied with tire sizes ect.

So in other words a different part number for a different vehicle that had possibly a taller tire, does this sound correct?

Does this look like it may be the part you are in need of Brian?

Difficult to see in the pict. but it does have threads on the top portion that I am assuming your speedo cable would attach too

post-48869-143139168274_thumb.jpg

Hi Jason

Sorry for delay! I will print the pic and discuss with mechanic in the morning.

Have discussed the pic and removed the Speedo Gear Housing from the Brass Transmission Extension. I will attach photo in new comment.

Regards

Brian

post-84037-143139169799_thumb.jpg

post-84037-143139169822_thumb.jpg

Edited by Fuimus
changes in information (see edit history)

Hi Jason

Picture of Adaptor attached.

post-84037-143139169824_thumb.jpg

Forgive Wine Cork in opening, but this keeps the oil in the transmission for now!

This Adaptor screws into opening in Brass Extension and supports the top of the Speedo Gear as per your picture. The inside diameter is 1/2 inch and the length of this adaptor is 1,34 inches.

For the correct ratio, the wheels are 19" Steel Discs and the Tyres are 4.75 x 5.00 x 19.

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if there is anything else I can do.

Regards

Brian

Guest Fast Four Special

Brian,

We may have what you need in our parts pile. Give us a couple of days to search.

We have lots of Fast Four engine and transmission parts FREE (you pay shipping) for whoever needs them.

Send a list of your needs to~

fast4special@gmail.com

That is great! Thank you and I await news on possibility of the part.

Surprisingly, the car is relatively complete and where possible, we have redone years of poor and non-authentic workmanship. Also to my surprise, the original floorboards are still intact, complete with the Vehicle Frame Identification Plate that matches the No. stamped on the right-hand chassis frame!

I will certainly email if there is anything I might need.

Regards

Brian

Brian,

We may have what you need in our parts pile. Give us a couple of days to search.

We have lots of Fast Four engine and transmission parts FREE (you pay shipping) for whoever needs them.

Send a list of your needs to~

fast4special@gmail.com

That would be nice if you can help the guy out. I will await to see if you can find one. Thanks

I can't get to my car at the moment (it's in storage 15 miles away) so I am unable to see if the speedometer coupling is the same as on my '26 Tourer but we share a similar problem where any threaded parts are concerned because the threads are different from any British or European ones. My lathe only has imperial and metric gear combinations and I don't have suitable taps or dies to hand. It would be useful to know if UNF and UNC are American threads? I am sure we non Americans could benefit from some help here. Anyone have a suitable link to information about American thread sizes or what to look for in terms of taps and dies?

A simple example of a problem came to light the other day when I tried to find a couple of small screws to attach the top of my spare Stewart carb to the threaded holes in the body. I found bsw, bsf, ba, unf, unc, metric, etc but nothing fitted properly.

Hope you have luck with your search.

Ray.

Guest Fast Four Special

What exactly do you need? The gear, the fitting, or everything. Let us know and we'll get it in the mail to you. Also, PM me your address.

Thanks, Pete

• 2 weeks later...
Are you still looking for this? I have one pulled and ready to send you. Please let me know. Thanks!

Im also curious on the outcome, guys in S Africa so who knows whats going on down there. Im sure he will be back

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Fuimus

My sincere apologies for this delay in response. These past 3 weeks have been "non-car" as I have been away.

Thank you Jim, that looks exactly what I need. I really appreciate your effort in identifying the component.

Pete, my address is as follows:

Brian Bruce

PO Box 587

BEDFORDVIEW 2008

South Africa

Please let me know what elase you need from me.

Regards

Brian