First-Gen salvage yard, Your Opinions

lrlforfun

OK Riviera People: An old and trusted friend of mine who is quite a go-getter wants to go into business. He was at my place and noticed all the Rivs and started thinking aloud..."I wonder how it would be if I (meaning my friend) started a first-gen Riv salvage yard". I said that if he was short on dough I'd help him out because I really trust him and I also suggested I'd mention it on the Riviera forum and see what the feedback was. He is already aware of location, DMV regulations, zoning and the rest of the obligations necessary to be in business.

I thought that there was not a large enough supply at a price where there was a profit margin, but what do I know? That's why I'm asking the members, again, what does everybody think?

Mitch

Guest Kingoftheroad
OK Riviera People: An old and trusted friend of mine who is quite a go-getter wants to go into business. He was at my place and noticed all the Rivs and started thinking aloud..."I wonder how it would be if I (meaning my friend) started a first-gen Riv salvage yard". I said that if he was short on dough I'd help him out because I really trust him and I also suggested I'd mention it on the Riviera forum and see what the feedback was. He is already aware of location, DMV regulations, zoning and the rest of the obligations necessary to be in business.

I thought that there was not a large enough supply at a price where there was a profit margin, but what do I know? That's why I'm asking the members, again, what does everybody think?

Mitch

Us 63 - 65 Riv owners could always use another source for parts. Whether or not there is enough demand to support such a business venture, I don't know..

With the age of the internet, some parts are amazingly easy to find now even though many salvage yards have crushed cars. Anyone who has a fender or wheel in the corner of the garage can reach millions with a simple internet listing.

Your friend would need to expand into other years, models, and/or makes and not just 1st gen Rivieras to make it a worthy venture that would generate any consistent income to pay the bills. It could be a decent side business though if he has experience in salvage work. The used parts business is tough and if he gets into it hopefully it would start as a side business while he holds a regular job. Parting cars isn't glamorous work. Just the shipping end of it alone is very time consuming. I do think its a good "part time" business though especially if you have the real estate to collect parts cars. Unless he has a remote location, He'll need a 10' cyclone fence around the yard to deter theft.

My biggest question is does he know where he will get the parts cars to begin with? Many who have been into selling Riviera parts as a business have been doing it for years and have feelers out all over to get first dibs on an old Riv when it comes available. If your friend is really commited and loves the old car salvaging business he should really consider it. It has to be a labor of love though because you won't get rich.

I think as Jason does that it would be a good part time business. If you look at the profiles that Hemmings Classic Cars (magazine) does on their vendors, such as Clark's Corvair Parts that does the 1st gen Riviera seats, they started as a side business because of a passionate interest, then that business grew.

I also 100% agree with Jason on expansion of years. While I do not believe you would have to go into the 4th generation Rivieras, it seems like a good idea to go 1963 to 1973 because this cover the 3 oldest and most collected generations of Rivieras, many of which are still being restored and/or maintained.

This gives you a much greater inventory options as they made, what? 35,000 to 50,000 Rivieras each year on average.

Real estate - would need 20-30 dry acres plus a Morton building to part out and keep some parts. Lots of logistics involved. Transport to bring the cars in = $$$. I don't know. I would start really small like buying a few, parting them out and seeing if that can jump start a larger venture but do go all in pretty fast I don't think would work.

I have to argee with Ed on the supply and demand issues for this. Just not that many of these out there to start with, and fewer wanting parts for same. We are not talking Camaros, Mustangs, or 55-57 Chevys here. Before I bought my Riviera, I bought, sold and parted out a lot of cars and trucks. Mostly 48-72 GM products, but there were a few exceptions. Never saw the demand be enough to make it a full time business, but did make a few dollars on the side. This was a hobby and I had no interest in doing it full time. When the economy took a nose dive, so did my side business. Most poeple do this as a hobby, and therefore only "extra" cash gets funneled into these projects. If the hobbiest has no "extra" cash to funnel into his project, you have no business.

OK Riviera People: Well, I forwarded all the input you gave to my friend and he's really discouraged although, he's not the kind of guy to give up easily. His main concern is finding an inventory because there are so few cars around, especially at a price that makes it worthwhile. If he paid say, and average of $1000. a piece for say, 20 cars he's already in for 20K. I told him I didn't think he could find 20 cars especially at $1,000. There are probably 20 cars around but digging them out of the cracks would be nothing short of impossible. If he did find them out of his area (San Joaquin Valley, California) there would be transportation costs to boot.

Way too many if's for me but like I mentioned, he's not one to give up easily. I actually have enough examples of the 1960 Buick to go into the parts business but I really don't feel like being in business. I'm going to discuss all this with my friend and help him fish or cut bait. Mitch