1965 Seat Belt Retractor Covers

48Super

I need to know if there is any trick to installing new covers on the outer seat belt retractors in a '65. My originals were cracked and broken around the openings and when I removed them I noticed the opening for the belt is narrower than the male buckle end. Other than cutting small notches into the sides of the new housings, I can't see how to get the buckle end through. Do you have to disassemble the belt from the retractor mechanism? Any assistance will be most welcomed.

The retractor's are not hard to take apart. Once you have removed the broken cover or stretched the belt out carefully pry the spring cover and spring off of the end of the rectractor. Also when you remove this, count how many times the cover goes around so you know how tight to wind the spring up when you put it back together. With the belt unrolled, you will find a clamp that secures the belt to a roller. Then using a screwdriver or a punch, knock out the pin and pay attention to the end of the pin with the slot in it for the spring. The seat belt roller will come out of the bracket and then slide the belt off the roller and that end will slide through the seat belt cover. Just reverse the process and you have it back together. It is not all that complicated but make sure you have the slot for the belt on the proper side before you bolt your retractor back in place.

Thanks, Don. I got it apart with no problems. I just wanted to be sure I knew what I was doing before attempting to disassemble the units. I wasn't certain that they were actually intended to be repairable. Once I get the new covers, I'll be all set. By the way, the best price I found for the reproduction retractor covers was $35/pair on Ebay. I did not realize just how many GM models used these same parts.

Something that you can do while your seat belt retractor's are disassembled is, if needed, clean up those dirty belts. If you mix up a medium to strong solution of Simple Green and water and let the belts soak for a couple of days. If needed, scrub with a soft brush and then rinse with plain water. Hang your belts up to dry and they come out clean and soft. If you don't want to get the buckle wet, slide it to one end and soak about half of your belt and when clean and dry slide the buckle to the other end and repeat the cleaning. I have not found where this process has caused any damage to the belts but they come out looking really good.

• 4 months later...
Guest rsmalling
The retractor's are not hard to take apart. Once you have removed the broken cover or stretched the belt out carefully pry the spring cover and spring off of the end of the rectractor. Also when you remove this, count how many times the cover goes around so you know how tight to wind the spring up when you put it back together. With the belt unrolled, you will find a clamp that secures the belt to a roller. Then using a screwdriver or a punch, knock out the pin and pay attention to the end of the pin with the slot in it for the spring. The seat belt roller will come out of the bracket and then slide the belt off the roller and that end will slide through the seat belt cover. Just reverse the process and you have it back together. It is not all that complicated but make sure you have the slot for the belt on the proper side before you bolt your retractor back in place.

Thanks Don,

Im going to do this today.

The seat belt retractor covers for a '65 Riviera are the same as those used on many GM A-Body cars from the mid-60's to early 70's. They are currently being reproduced and can be purchase for about $35-$40'pair. They only come in black but can easily be painted to match your interior color. I obtained a set through Ebay a few months back and they were an excellent match to the originals.

http://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/ocatalog/part.asp?VID=6&YearList=1969&Search_Keyword=seat belt retracto