nailhead question

Guest oldtimer

Did you see the current issue of Car Craft? It has a story on the history of the Buick nailhead and all the weird inductions systems people used on them.<BR>I think either setup you mentioned would have more curb appeal than performance potential. <P>If a 3X2 is three two barrels then what is a 6X2?

Guest oldtimer

sorry i type to fast for my brain sometomes. i meant 6x1 (log intake). i know offy stuff isn't too good, but i didn't hear news (good or bad) about the 6x1 intake. also i found a weiand 3x2 intake (i didn't know they made one) and was just wondering. i'm trying to get the edelbrock (b262) put back into production, but until then all i have is the stock 4x2 set-up. thanks for any info........... and write more letters to edelbrock...please

I have a 3x2 weiand on my 364. I designed a progressive linkage system so the car runs on the middle carb 'till 1/2 throttle. (This also allowed me to use the stock, gas-pedal start) I turned the outside carb's idle screws all the way in. And adjusted the middle carb for the extra air the other carbs let in. You only need to choke the middle carb. My car runs great, and I drive it EVERY day to work. It even gets decent gas-milage, but the best part is opening up those extra carbs out on the freeway!!! Multi carbs RULE!

Miked, that is EXACTLY what I want to do on the 322 I'm building for my '54 Special. What carbs did you source for the outboards on the 3x2? I was going to find a pair of 2-bbls from 55-57 Chevys. Any thoughts?<BR>Also, anyone happen to have a Weiand 3x2 for a 322? Or a 3x2 by anyone other than Offy for the 322?<BR>-Brad

Guest oldtimer

setting up the 3x2 isn't bad, i did it for my friends `30 model a (with a 350 sbc). just made linkage from bar stock (outer carbs start to come on at 1/2 throttle) and tubing bender. milled a slide (drilled a hole in the middle), made a couple of stops and it was done. the fuel lines needed to be "older" looking, so i went to home depot and found some water line pipe fitting (brass). cut and bent the fuel lines to fit. the carbs are the older roch. 2 jet. the key is finding the ones that have the SIDE feed (the fuel line comes in from the side, not front), i'm not sure what the cut off years for the carbs were, but the side feed are smaller cfm's. i found the older of the side feeds had less vacuum ports (the front and rear don't need them). i didnt want the look of vacuum caps, so i pulled out the tubes and cut small chunks of wheel weights (lead) and sealed the holes, i also turned in the mixture srews in all the way. the other way is to contact a carb place that does 3x2 set-ups and buy the correct style carbs and linkage from them. i'm not at home and i can't remember the names, i'll post them later.

I used strom WW's for the outside carbs. Mainly because I wanted to keep the all carbs the same. If I was to do it again I would use rochesters. WAY easier to find and get parts at checker/ autozone.

Hi, I have a 364 2barrel Carter. I would love to change over to 3 2barrels. How does the carter rate? I want to keep the pedal start. 3 Carters? 3 Rochesters? 3Strombergs?<BR>Best intake?<BR>Raul<BR>nomoresea@aol.com<BR>57 special 4-door hardtop<BR>65/66 Rivs

My Strombergs have been very reliable. But if I need parts they are expensive and hard to locate. If you want to keep the pedal start use your carb for the middle and get two more exactly like it. good luck!

Brad,<BR>I have a Weiand 3x2 intake for a 322 with 4 stromberg 97 carbs and the linkage. Three of the carbs are in good condition, the 4th I got for parts. They need rebuilding, but I do have 3 rebuild kits. I am planning on picking up a 425 so i won't need that stuff. I should know in the next couple days if I get the engine, so if you want the intake setup, let me know. Email me at fryguy322@hotmail.com<BR>Bryan

• 4 weeks later...

Bryan: Do you know whether that manifold of yours will fit a 364 as well as a 322? I've got an engine coming, but don't know exactly its displacement at this time. If it's a 322, I would be interested in your setup if you haven't sold it.<BR>TNX, Don

The 322 manifold can be "hogged out" to fit the 364. I think about half the 322 aluminum manifolds I have seen have had this done. It isn't perfect, but it will work.

Don,<BR>Martinsr is right about the 322 and 364. Mine is not "hogged out" however. After reading my previous post I also realized a typo, I have 94 carbs, not 97. I have not sold it yet, but I know one person that is interesed in the intake only. Are you interested in the carbs as well, or just the intake?

Hi, All:<BR>Nothin' like going to the folks that have the knowledge!!! I think this engine is a 322 since the seller told me that the bolt holes are 8-3/8" apart. Therefore, I'm interested, Brad, in your manifold and 94 carbs. Believe 94s were the same as those used on Fords - fine by me. I'm interested in the whole setup. This would be a really cool additional to the nailhead in my '46 Ford. I'll know more about my engine tomorrow when I pick it up. You can contact me as: mr_90zr1@yahoo.com for detainls & price.<BR>Tnx guys, Don

Bryan: Looks like I screwed up with names... sorry. Yes, I'm interested in your intake and carbs. See other e-mail I sent to you.<BR>TNX, Don