Big 6 pistons in Special 6 engine?

I have a '23 Special 6 whose block has been bored to 20 over. I have been over a year looking for oversized pistons for this engine. Egge no-longer makes them. However, I have another '23 that is a driver and the former owner stated that it was bored out and has Big 6 pistons in it. It also has the Big 6 head on it. Is that a viable option? It seems like a lot of boring. Will the block take that much and maintain it's integrity? I have an old set of Big 6 pistons that cleaned up pretty well and a couple of Big 6 heads that haven't been looked at by a shop, so who knows.

Thanks for any input.

JC

Guest stude8

Without taking another guys word for it about whether a block can be bored to a larger diameter piston size I would be more accurate in measuring cylinder wall thickness, casting patterns can shift in pouring a block and actual wall thickness can vary one block to the next.

A friend of mine is building a Studebaker V8 engine for a Bonneville Salt flat race car and it is being over size bored to the limit. To ensure it can take the over bore we borrowed an ultra sonic electronic wall thickness measuring device and measured all 8 cylinders at 45 degree intervals on the diameter and 1" depths from top to bottom of each cylinder bore. All the data was input to a computer program that drew illustrations of each level top to bottom and recorded each measurement point on a graff. The block passed the test with flying colors, it can be bored to the required diameter in all cylinders.

This is how the pro's plan an engine enlargement with out gambling if it is possible to do without sleeving the cylinders.

Stude8

I have a set of used Big Six pistons with rings (on rods) if you need them. I haven't done a detailed inspection, but I recall them being in pretty nice shape. I can take some measurements if you want. Let me know.

Scott

post-30776-14313915394_thumb.jpg

The Big Six and Special Six engines were identical except for the 3/8" larger bore in the Big Six (i.e. 31/2" for the Special Six and 3 7/8 for the Big Six). The specifications above I think will confirm this. These pages are taken from the 73 page "Book of Facts for Studebaker Salesmen," dated January 1, 1926.

Edited by studeq (see edit history)

Thanks for the spec sheet. Going back to my original post on this thread....I do have a set of Big Six Pistons if you end up needing them. They are in really nice shape with rings and rods. Piston diameter measures 3.871".

Scott

Thanks. I went to their website and saw the listing for Stude Special 6 pistons. It was the same as I had seen a year or so ago. When called, they say they don't stock them anymore but will make a forged set for me for $13-1500. A little too steep for my project. I have been told by a Stude guy that Studebaker only made one 6 cyl. block in those days and only the bore and head was the difference between the Big 6 and Special 6 models. I guess I need confirmation before I get the boring bar out. I have a set of Big 6 pistons and a Big 6 head of unknown origin. So, thanks again. And Happy Trails,

Jim C.

Thanks. I went to their website and saw the listing for Stude Special 6 pistons. It was the same as I had seen a year or so ago. When called, they say they don't stock them anymore but will make a forged set for me for $13-1500. A little too steep for my project. I have been told by a Stude guy that Studebaker only made one 6 cyl. block in those days and only the bore and head was the difference between the Big 6 and Special 6 models. I guess I need confirmation before I get the boring bar out. I have a set of Big 6 pistons and a Big 6 head of unknown origin. So, thanks again. And Happy Trails,

Jim C.

Well Jim that is not true since Studebaker also made the Standard Six model ER and EU in 1926 and 1927. However if you will read my previous post that includes all of the detailed specifications you will see that the Big and Special Six did share a common block with the only difference being the bore.

Well Jim that is not true since Studebaker also made the Standard Six model ER and EU in 1926 and 1927. However if you will read my previous post that includes all of the detailed specifications you will see that the Big and Special Six did share a common block with the only difference being the bore.

Studeq: I am talking about the '23-4 engines. Thanks for the previous post with the spec sheet. It confirmed what I'd been told. So, I'm not sure what part isn't true but my thread is only relivant to the '23-24 engines and I am not satisfied that they did use the same block for both Big and Special in those years so their should be no problem boring it out from Special to Big specs.

Right?

Thanks again for your post of the Stude spec sheet.

-Jim

Studeq: I am talking about the '23-4 engines. Thanks for the previous post with the spec sheet. It confirmed what I'd been told. So, I'm not sure what part isn't true but my thread is only relivant to the '23-24 engines and I am not satisfied that they did use the same block for both Big and Special in those years so their should be no problem boring it out from Special to Big specs.

Right?

Thanks again for your post of the Stude spec sheet.

-Jim

You are welcome. For the record in the period 1919 thru 1924 Studebaker offered three models. They were from top to bottom, Big Six, Special Six and Light Six. As in subsequent years the Big and Special Six utilized the same basic block except for the bore. The Light Six as the name would imply used an entirely different power plant with nothing interchangeable with the larger cars.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest radiotech
Should've said, "I am now satisfied".

Sorry

-Jim

TRY Lester Harris in Minden, Nv. He specializes in engine and chassis parts for antique cars and is very fair to deal with. 1-775-267-2559