belgian rare vehicles

gilletman

There used to be a fine Excelsoir with twin carbs in Melbourne, but I believe it left the country many years ago. At Hamilton in the west of Victoria a man had a Meisse that had been in his family for decades. Metallurgiques were more common. The man I bought my Roamer Duesenbergs from had been the Met. agent in Melbourne for several years prior to WW1, and showed me some photographs he had. I introduced Barry Vinen to him, and he gave them to Barry. Norman Dougal was about 92 then. If you were to visit Barry now you would think that Met.s are commonplace. I think he has at least three 4 cyl pre-WW1 cars, plus a 2 cylinder. Those of the 1920's almost seem to breed there. I'll pass on your web address to Barry when I go past next.

Minervas were much more plentiful, particularly in the larger sizes. Melbourne agent was Kellow Faulkiner, whose main business was Rolls Royce. When the landed gentry brought their Rolls to KF for service, the courtesy cars were Minerva. Minervas sold themselves as secon d cars, because they were said to be much nicer to drive than the big Rolls. The town hearse at Goroke in far west Victoria was a 23 hp 6cyl. Eventually the owners rmoved the body to be a garden glass-house. The chassis went out to the farm where the sons used it for spotlight shooting rabbits, till it coughed a sleeve rod. That was most certainly due to abuse, because the mileage of the car was very low. I bought it for $10, which was a lot less than the value of the two new 600x21 Olympic tyres on the front wire wheels. I swaped it to a friend. Sleeve valve engine problems were beyond most peoples'technical resources at the time. The main reason they can have a smokey exhaust is compression loss past the junkhead rings, which forces oil from the sleeves into the exhaust ports. I made two Willys Knights stop smoking by honing the sleeves true and slightly oversize, pre-grinding the worn junk rings on a centred clamping mandrel. I built them up with hot metal sprayed coating of molybdenum, and ground them to size with copper shim maintaining the correct original end gap. The coating has a slight porosity which retains oil. Cast iron running on cast iron is not always the best material match.

There used to be a fine Excelsoir with twin carbs in Melbourne, but I believe it left the country many years ago. At Hamilton in the west of Victoria a man had a Meisse that had been in his family for decades. Metallurgiques were more common. The man I bought my Roamer Duesenbergs from had been the Met. agent in Melbourne for several years prior to WW1, and showed me some photographs he had. I introduced Barry Vinen to him, and he gave them to Barry. Norman Dougal was about 92 then. If you were to visit Barry now you would think that Met.s are commonplace. I think he has at least three 4 cyl pre-WW1 cars, plus a 2 cylinder. Those of the 1920's almost seem to breed there. I'll pass on your web address to Barry when I go past next.

Minervas were much more plentiful, particularly in the larger sizes. Melbourne agent was Kellow Faulkiner, whose main business was Rolls Royce. When the landed gentry brought their Rolls to KF for service, the courtesy cars were Minerva. Minervas sold themselves as secon d cars, because they were said to be much nicer to drive than the big Rolls. The town hearse at Goroke in far west Victoria was a 23 hp 6cyl. Eventually the owners rmoved the body to be a garden glass-house. The chassis went out to the farm where the sons used it for spotlight shooting rabbits, till it coughed a sleeve rod. That was most certainly due to abuse, because the mileage of the car was very low. I bought it for $10, which was a lot less than the value of the two new 600x21 Olympic tyres on the front wire wheels. I swaped it to a friend. Sleeve valve engine problems were beyond most peoples'technical resources at the time. The main reason they can have a smokey exhaust is compression loss past the junkhead rings, which forces oil from the sleeves into the exhaust ports. I made two Willys Knights stop smoking by honing the sleeves true and slightly oversize, pre-grinding the worn junk rings on a centred clamping mandrel. I built them up with hot metal sprayed coating of molybdenum, and ground them to size with copper shim maintaining the correct original end gap. The coating has a slight porosity which retains oil. Cast iron running on cast iron is not always the best material match.

Thanks Ivan for this Info. I hope Barry would be able to contact me. I'm always interested in pictures (by mail) from Old Belgian cars. Specialy like the Miesse since in Belgium they are verry rare, and sitting in collections that never see the light. Also pics of your own collection, would be nice , maybe to make a storry on my blog. Its called (translated) treasure guardians .It might interest many people, as you ca see we have about 20 visitors each day, and i put a flag counter, now counting 12 different countrys.

Soon a storry about a motorcle collector and restauration wizzard in Belgium. Thanks again for teh reply, hope to stay in contact. my personal adres ; gillet.man@live.be

regards