Want to get and install aftermarket a/c in 1964 Dynamic 88 4dr

Guest Hockeye

Guest Hockeye

H, Folks,

Thought I'd give this another try. There seems to be little problem finding someone who will sell just what I need-- compressor, drier, etc., etc., but so far everyone goes into a coma when the subject turns to a bracket for mounting the stuff to the engine.

Is this some forgotten art?

Do I really have to slog through the salvage yards looking for some bracket which might or might not work for the several systems which appear to be available?

Steve in Oklahoma, where it is raining and cool. Finally.

I am afraid you will have to hit the old junkyards to find the brackets,about 20 years ago I found a sears under dash a/c in a 62 Olds and put it in my 53 with a 59 motor. I did have a extra set of engine brackets from a 59 with aftermarket a/c but I loaned them out to see if they would work but never recieved the money or the brackets back,i frequent old yards and will be on the look out and I do have a set of brackets from a 66 and if you have the 330 motor they might work. I have just the brackets and not the add on crank pulley as it was shot when I took it off.

First, are you simply looking for an under-dash A/C unit or a complete street rod style unit that does heat, A/C, and defrost. You certainly won't find a kit for your car. You can find all the parts available from dozens of aftermarket street rod A/C companies. Vintage Air even makes a reproduction of the old Mark IV under dash unit. Everyone uses the modern Sanden compressors, which are much more efficient and smaller. Compressor mounting brackets will likely require fabrication - I haven't seen an aftermarket source for Sanden mounts on a 394 (don't feel bad, mounts for a 455 have only recently become available). You can buy custom bracket parts to fabricate your own, such as these:

AP AIR, INC - Part Details

If you happen to find a set of factory compressor brackets for a 394, there are adapter brackets available to mount the Sanden compressor in them. Everything else you need (condenser, drier, hoses, etc) is available from any of the aftermarket A/C vendors.

By the way, brackets from the later Olds V8s (including the 330) aren't even close.