What did Buick use to keep the hood sides open in 1932

v12lincoln

I am not sure, but you may have the two V shaped, bent sheetmetal pieces with cloth (like cowl protector strap), that catch on the little lip on the part of the cowl under the hood. I also then use a bungee cord to hold through the handle and hood flaps and wrap it around the metal rod holding the radiator at tghe top. Not fool proof, but works in moderate wind. But with high er winds, I just close the hood. You might even have a hood slip when geting into or out of the car when the car moves a bit.

Before I did this, I had a side drop and it hit the side mount chrome. This was more expensive than a bit of paint, I think. If you need a picture of the V support, let me know and I will try to get you a photo. There should be rivit holes (I think) in the hood unless someone filled them in and removed the support.

John

My '29 Cadillac has clever little brackets that the previous owner made to keep the hood open. I'll take some photos and show them to you, but basically they bolt to the back of the grab handles and have a round cut-out with one side opened so it can simply hook onto the radiator support rods. There's enough of a "hook" on the round opening that it grabs pretty firmly, and while I wouldn't leave it up in the wind, it's plenty sturdy for shows. The bracket is ridiculously simple, and you will be able to make it yourself. It's so basic that I'm shocked the factory didn't think of it.

I'll try to get photos later today and post them.

I am surprised no one with a Buick of this age has commented, I guess Buick didnt use anything and just layed the hood across the other side, which seems stupid since this ruins the hood center strip and the paint on top of the hood.

I will follow the pattern for my Packards to make something. Thanks guys for your help

Guest outlaw car man

post-54015-143139137245_thumb.jpgDon't know what was used in 32, but this is what we use in 1933. I've never seen a 32.

I'm the guy you helped out with the gear box last year in Colorado. Thanks again for that !

OCM

John Scheib described how factory 32 Buicks were made to hold the hood up. It is not a good solution for vibration and wind. You definitely do not want to lay the hood over on the opposite side. You will bend the top hood piece as they are rounded and do not have any structural support. The top will be damaged if you attempt this.

The hinged rod with a hook sounds like a great solution. I would make it so the hood can't move in either direction when hooked to the top radiator support rod.

Thanks Bob. I guess I will have to add some rods to hold the hood up. Looking into building a large 2" long angled piece of aluminum with a soft rubber pad on the bottom that will fit on the back inside of the hood so when it is open it will rest where Buick has a small roll in the metal. Seems like that is what it is for but can not find anything that bolts or rivits to the hood in that location.

Someone has to have a 32 that has something for a hood rest that was factory, maybe someday they will see this.

Thanks guys for your help.

v12 Lincoln,

I guess I am confused, but Bob and I told you what a '32 Buick had and what we use. But we also use either a hook or bungee to keep it from sliping in he wind or whem moving, like slamming a door, standing on the hood, etc. I have been away for 4 days so I will try to get you a few photos tomorrow. I am not sure why someone filled in your rivit holes in the hood side rather than putting it back together right.

John

John

jscheib.

I have nothing on the hood that will catch on the small indentations on the cowl, so I am confused as to what you are talking about. A picture would be nice to see what I am missing. There are some holes in the inside of the hood lip but I have nothing to put in them.Wouldnt even know what goes in there.