1919 Dodge Brothers Convertible Coupe lighting question???

Guest brian j

Guest brian j

Hi. Now that the old coupe runs well, i'm getting the body parts the original owner had removed back on the car. I am re-attaching the passenger front fender, and i set to adding the headlights. I noticed the headlight base on the passenger side has a spring loaded brass "pin" and a quarter turn connector as a way to connect the wire to the light. Also pictured are the quarter turn connectors(bakelite) for both sides. The one connector (bakelite) pin is short/ flat/not spring loaded, and looks original,and attaches well to the passenger headlight base with the spring loaded pin inside the headlight base(pictured). The driver side light has been rigged with just a taped wire extending into the headlight from the base. But the headlight base on the driver side has no spring loaded pin. The "other" quarter turn bakelite connector however has a spring loaded pin (pictured). So i'm guessing the headlight base was supposed to have a short flat pin on the driver side to make the proper connection. In other words it connects in "reverse" so to speak from the passenger side. Does this sound right? And if so, does anyone out there have the piece that is supposed to be in the headlight base on the driver side to make the connection? I can leave it rigged up as is, but i would rather make it "right". I hope you can follow my convoluted logic. Thanks.

post-31587-143139131089_thumb.jpg

post-31587-143139131123_thumb.jpg

post-31587-143139131156_thumb.jpg

I expect, but I don't know for sure that one or the other light was replaced - probably in antiquity. I can't imagine the car started out with odd light fittings, but you never know. Just one of those little mysteries that add interest, I guess.

Ray.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest brian j

Hi. I did some more research, and it turns out these lighting connectors were made by a company called Presto. They were used in many antique cars of the day, not just Dodge Brothers. They had quite a few variations of them, and could be bought from many parts suppliers way back when. That could explain why mine are different. One was probably replaced at one time with a different connector. i found a supplier, and these are still available as reproduction items. So i'll be getting mine "squared away" soon. Regards.

Once you get them and they match up with the original correct one, be sure to let us know who the "supplier" is. I'm sure others have had / are having issues with their old connectors and may like to replace them in an effort to get the most out of their lighting.

Thanks!

Guest brian j

Sorry , i assumed a lot of you knew.............Restoration Supply Co. out of Escondido, Ca. They have 2 site pages. The one you want to look at with pics of all their items is in PDF format. They have some pretty neat stuff for old timey restoration. Regards.

• 5 weeks later...