63 riv Headliner and Carpet

Guest Steeleco

Guest Steeleco

So I ordered my 63 Riv standard blue vinyl seats from Carks Corvair (very excited can't wait to get them). I did not like the headliner samples from Clarks Corvair, so I ordered a headliner from OPGI as the pictures they have look spot on to my existing one. (hope I'm not dissapointed). Next question is where to get carpet. Please comment on carpet and headliner.

Thanks

Guest Steeleco

None of the clarks headliner colors matched My cars headliner. There was a basket weve that was close but the original is a ribbed I think. At least thats whats there now.

Thanks

Guest Gseago

stockinteriors.com. Did you look online or W in their catalog? They have both original and non original grain in their catalog and you can order a samples. What color is your headliner?

Edited by Gseago (see edit history)

Guest Steeleco

Gseage,

Thanks for asking. I actually got samples from Clarks and had asked for original grain. Their headliner colors just did not seem right to me.

What you need to make sure of is that the headliner that came in the car hasn't been replaced at some time with something different than the original. The cotton threads in the casings are one of the first things to go on these cars.

The original pattern is called Bedford. Original headliner colors were pretty basic. I'm betting that with all of the research that Calvin Clark has done on this, his colors are very close if not exact.

Ed

Guest Gseago

You need to also take into account the fact that if it is your original headliner it could have faded or became discolored over time and the sample Clark's sent is how it would have looked new.

Guest Steeleco

Ed,

Thank you for the suggestion that my headliner may have been replaced before. You very well may be correct. I have called Clarks a couple of times and the ladies that take the call are very patient and good about letting you know what is in stock etc. When I asked about what would be correct for my car with "716" interior they could not answer those type of questions and it did not seem like there was anyone I could speak with to answer those types of questions. Maybe I did not ask the questions right. I'm sure I will be happy with the Clarks Seat covers when they get here.

Guest Steeleco

Gseago,

Good thought, there is a spot where the existing headliner is only recently exposted (a seam opened up) that seems not to be faded and is rich in color. That matches perfectly with the color of the OPGI picture on their site. Will see, I may be sorry.

Guest Gseago
Gseago,

Good thought, there is a spot where the existing headliner is only recently exposted (a seam opened up) that seems not to be faded and is rich in color. That matches perfectly with the color of the OPGI picture on their site. Will see, I may be sorry.

Hopefully you won't be sorry, maybe I'm weary of going by pictures alone given. Atleast with a sample you can see without a doubt exactly what the color will be when you open the your package.

Here's a link that shows a couple of blues in the bedford pattern. See if this is the pattern that's in your car (if you headliner is still original, the patterns should match.) If it is the same pattern, you're likely to find some original color on the back sides of the sail panels. There's probably quite a bit folded over and glued into place. That shouldn't have been exposed to that many elements that would make is discolor.

There are a ton of sources out there. Find the one you like. I looked a Clark's website and just now realized that a couple of their blues are actually dyed blue to get the color to look original. It's been my experience that when dyeing a large piece of vinyl that 1) isn't held in place by foam or something backing it, or 2) It's suspended, the vinyl has a tendency to get a little loose because of the chemicals in the dye.

Keep looking. See if anyone on the forum has a picture of something original that they can post.

Ed

http://www.stockinteriors.com/HeadlinerColorsUp.asp?Select=1&TypeId=24

Guest Gseago
Here's a link that shows a couple of blues in the bedford pattern. See if this is the pattern that's in your car (if you headliner is still original, the patterns should match.) If it is the same pattern, you're likely to find some original color on the back sides of the sail panels. There's probably quite a bit folded over and glued into place. That shouldn't have been exposed to that many elements that would make is discolor.

There are a ton of sources out there. Find the one you like. I looked a Clark's website and just now realized that a couple of their blues are actually dyed blue to get the color to look original. It's been my experience that when dyeing a large piece of vinyl that 1) isn't held in place by foam or something backing it, or 2) It's suspended, the vinyl has a tendency to get a little loose because of the chemicals in the dye.

Keep looking. See if anyone on the forum has a picture of something original that they can post.

Ed

Bedford Vinyl Carpet Samples

Your right Ed, Clark's dyes their headliner and I may be wrong but the seat vinyl too. Which is why the say it's best to order everything a was once so the color batch is as consistent as possible, they also say that different computer monitors will show colors differently(kind of like looking at automotive paint inside a paint store and then realizing it looks different than on a car outside in the sun?). Steeleco from what I can remember from a '63 parts car I once had the stockinteriors is closer to the original material or atleast the og pattern. I'm not sure on the color, If you were looking at the dark blue/code RHD from Clark's I have a sample of that and no I don't think you would have been happy with it because it isn't a ribbed pattern.

Next question is where to get carpet. Please comment on carpet and headliner.

Thanks

I was very happy with the carpet from Auto Custom Carpet. They own the factory and equipment that originally produced the carpet. However, I would find one of their distributors since you should save some $$$ that way. I ordered direct to accmats.com, but then found a distributor of theirs that would have saved me about $100 on my order. It pays to search a little harder.

Guest Steeleco

Thanks Chuck, I will look them up. I had mentioned I bought seats from Clarks Corvair (have not recieved them yet, they get here on Tuesday). But I got a headliner from OGPI which came yesterday and look really good. Comes with enough to do the sail panels and visors and came with cord trim to go around the visor.

Have a good night.

Guest Steeleco

Thanks for the clarification on the trim cord. Additionally I think the OPGI headliner may be the same as Stockinteriors.com and possibly even two stepped from them.

Guest Gseago

RoductsThere was a videoon the web(youtube) where the owner of OPGI said the their Riviera parts were developed using an original 63(?) Riviera. I don't know how true this is but if this is the case then it's possible that they didn't research all of the different patterns and they are selling more of a general product to cover the different years. As far as their staff being knowledgeable unless the are Riviera owners with years of experience restoring one or have gone thru extensive training on there products it will be difficult to answer every question correctly.