Remote mirror removal

RivNut

When removing a remote mirror from a 1st generaton Riviera, do you have to remove each cable from the "joy stick" in order to get the mirror off the door?

I've never run into this until today and that looks like the only way to do it. If so, are there any special tools involved?

Thanks,

Ed

Tom,

I took the outer escutcheon off and then removed the mount from the door panel. It's the escutheon and mount that are too big to go through the hole. Sorry I didn't make this more clear in the first place.

Previously I looked on Ebay to see if anyone had one for sale and there's a NOS mirror for a '63 Pontiac listed. The seller has taken the parts out of the box and the mirror with cables is separated from the joy stick and escutcheon. That's what made me think that perhaps the cables needed to be removed from the joystick.

Thanks Ed

It has been years since I removed a mirror from a `63, and as a matter of fact quite a while since doing so on a `64, but for the `65 there are two screws which secure the escutcheon to the joystick. You will see this when you remove same from the inside door panel. Remove the two screws and the bellville washer and collar washer and pull the joystick thru the hole in the top of the door skin, no need to remove the cables.

Tom

Edited by 1965rivgs (see edit history)

Tom et al.

It's off. Everyting in the joystick piece is soldered together. The guy doing the body work looked at it and said it's exactly like the 60's era Fords he's used to working on. He took a pair of needle nose pliers, got hold of one cable end, and pushed it forward so the bell on the end of the cable slipped out of the controller.

The back of the controller is marked with an R, a G, and a Y for red, green, and yellow. There was no color left on the cables so we took a piece of masking tape and labled each corresponding cable. Now with the joystick off, the cables slide cleanly through the door. Wasn't hard at all. If you're doing the same, just make sure you don't put sideways pressure on the cable with your pliers , you could kink it. Once the first one is out, the other two are much easier. Reassembly should be just the opposite.

Ed