Small gathering of Rolls Royces and Bentleys

keiser31

A friend of mine just called a few minutes ago and told me that he just saw some old Rolls Royces at a local motel. I checked them out and was pleasantly surprised to find some Bentleys there as well.....

post-37352-143139122578_thumb.jpg

post-37352-14313912259_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143139122598_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143139122607_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143139122616_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143139122625_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143139122634_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143139122643_thumb.jpg

I like the Bentley Tourer. Its the first one I have seen with twin shock absorbers on the front.

I did see this one recently which has friction discs on all the connection points of the shock absorber that I thought was pretty neat. The rear shocks also had the same setup.post-58798-143139123834_thumb.jpg

Guest Brando & Joanne

does anyone know how to get a 1955 Bently sunroof open? we can't find the button or crank or whatever aparatus is necessary to open this sunroof! please email brando@oldwheel.com or call 813-917-9205

I was headed into Lewisburg WV in 1988 and met a RR Silver Ghost on the Road. Almost immediately I met another. Got into Lewisburg and saw one sitting at a gas station. I asked him what the cars were doing in Lewisburg and he told me they were staying there for a week touring the area. He told me the name of the inn they were staying at and said I was welcome to go by and look at them. There were maybe 15 or so. I asked a young man if a certain car was a Springfield Rolls and he told me it was. I asked him another question which he answered and then he asked me what I knew about Rolls Royces. I told him "not much" and he replied that I knew far more than most people. He proceded to give me a quick tour of the cars and told me which ones were American-built and which ones were British-built and who they were bodied by. My Friend wanted to know what these cars were worth and I told him several hundred thousand dollars a piece. He said those people must be very rich but that man was very nice. He was. A few years later the Rolls-Bentley owners came to the Homestead Hotel and had a show and I went up there. Those people treated me like I was one of them and were quick to share with me all the information they could. It just proved again that rich people can be very, very nice. I enjoy going to car shows because there are no rich and poor and no young and old at them for the most part. It would be a nice world if everyone got along with others as well as car people do.

Guest John.McMaster

Hi John,

When I was 16 I bought a 1929 Studebaker 8 sedan and was going to turn it into a hotrod. I was from a poor background and generally had disdain for rich people. Whilst working on this car in my front yard an old bloke stopped and asked what I was doing and he encouraged me to keep it original and come join his antique car club. That day changed my whole life. I was exposed to people of all ages and most importantly all backgrounds and educations. It showed me a world so different to mine and one I could have and with their encouragement I raised my standards, among other things, went to university and dragged myself up the ladder of society.

I went on to become President of that Club and achieve much else besides in life and I attribute the awaking in me to the unqualified welcome these people extended to me all those years ago as a fellow car enthusiast.

I have had it world wide ever since. That was 50 years ago and I still have the Studebaker and drive it regularly.

John.

...He said those people must be very rich but that man was very nice. He was. A few years later the Rolls-Bentley owners came to the Homestead Hotel and had a show and I went up there. Those people treated me like I was one of them and were quick to share with me all the information they could. It just proved again that rich people can be very, very nice. I enjoy going to car shows because there are no rich and poor and no young and old at them for the most part. It would be a nice world if everyone got along with others as well as car people do.

I am just an average "Joe" but I have some friends who will never miss a meal nor be too concerned about being home-less (or multi-home-less). I can tell you a couple of my friends are indeed worth multi-millions but you would never know it. They live in a comfortable home but not huge nor filled with price-less antiques. Super nice folks who you may run into at Safeway or Burger King and drive a 10 year old truck. They also speak poorly (pardon the pun) of the ones who feel that their money makes them better than "regular" people. He said that many of those types don't have the finances that they want you to believe they do, but they do have the payments! One friend has an unassuming 2500 sq/ft home on 5 acres with a decent sized plain steel building out back. Inside (if you are fortunate enough), you will see a world class collection of cars and other beautiful things worth far more than I could imagine. He has been known to randomly help out people in need completely anonymosly. I met a man once who was friendly but at a distance. Invited me into his home (15,000 sq/ft+) and it was completely devoid of any "home" feeling. Felt like a cold museum and I was afraid to touch anything. The 300 yr old rugs and $50k couch scared me to get near. Just the front door was almost $100k! The guest bathroom was larger than my house and had rooms of it's own. Beautiful, yes, inviting NO!

Point is, money doesn't make you "rich", doesn't make you friendly nor does it make you a kind soul. it affords you things and opportunities but does not change who you really are inside. If you are a a$$ inside, it probably will accentuate that. What makes you truely nice or a good person is from within. I know one local guy who has won the lottery twice, other than his love of nice muscle cars, he is unassuming and average. Another friend won the lottery and withing a year they almost got divorced, sold their winning for pennies on the dollar and went bankrupt blowing the money like it had no end.

I sure wouldn't mind the opportunity to see how I would handle it! I do know I'd help a lot of people around me. That would be the best investment I could make. Even as a kid, I always thought the best job ever was a philanthropist. Where do I apply anyway??