Alternator.. upgrade?

Guest RaverReatta

Guest RaverReatta

Another issue has popped up with the car, I drove it for quite a bit yesterday and it would die in the middle of the road and would not start back up immediately (had to be jumped once, had to wait a few minutes the second time). The battery in it is brand new, so I'm pretty sure that isn't the issue, but the alternator is pretty old and worn. After some research, it sounds like a reasonable conclusion that that could be what's got me dying in the road. If not, it could at least do with a replacement anyway. Now, down to the real question... Will an alternator from a newer 3800 (i.e. 97-04 Regal L36/L67 and it's equivalents) fit and function optimally on the LN3? If so, maybe this could be sort of a nice upgrade.

Guest 89 Maui

RaverReatta -

If you are able to start it and drove around for some time, dies, you creank it trying to start it, gets a jump, you crank it trying to start, but won't start, jumps again and you wait, then you are able start it, it doesn't sound like an alternator problem to me.

To me it sounds like a fuel pump on its final leg, you might want to check for fuel pressure on the fuel rail with a pressure guage.

Woody

Guest Corvanti

also check your battery cables and the grounds as shown here on Ronnie's site:

Ground Terminals & Junction Box Location - Reatta Owners Journal

and here regarding cables:

Battery Cable Checks & Repair - Reatta Owners Journal

still, the cables could be corroded out where it can't be seen - underneath the plastic covering the wires.

and, as "89Maui" said - it's probably the fuel pump - check the pressure!

(i had the last two problems when i got my reatta this spring!)...

EDIT: i'm a slow typist, so if your pump is ok, nevermind. except: if it happens again, have your fuel pressure gauge handy and check the pressure again. not uncommon for fuel pumps to go out gradually...

Edited by Corvanti (see edit history)

Guest RaverReatta

Fuel pressure is exactly right, the battery cables could be a factor though! However... we did test the cables at the shop the other day and they seemed pretty good.

Anyway, I'm still very curious if the alt will fit the LN3 :0

EDIT: I'll be sure to check it again just to be sure.

Edited by RaverReatta (see edit history)

Guest Richard D

I don't know what will fit, but I drive my 90 coupe with the original alternator and the A/C is always on high and I check voltage and it is at 13.7 even at idle. Before you buy a new or bigger alternator I would check the car's voltage while driving. As long as it stays above 13 I would look elsewhere. I have a neighbor who went through two DieHard batteries before he got one that was not intermitent.

Another issue has popped up with the car, I drove it for quite a bit yesterday and it would die in the middle of the road and would not start back up immediately (had to be jumped once, had to wait a few minutes the second time). The battery in it is brand new, so I'm pretty sure that isn't the issue, but the alternator is pretty old and worn. After some research, it sounds like a reasonable conclusion that that could be what's got me dying in the road. If not, it could at least do with a replacement anyway. Now, down to the real question... Will an alternator from a newer 3800 (i.e. 97-04 Regal L36/L67 and it's equivalents) fit and function optimally on the LN3? If so, maybe this could be sort of a nice upgrade.

There are other alternators that will fit but most would be a down grade seeing how the regatta came with a 120 amp alternator. Even my 140 amp is not a big improvement unless you are adding a 1000 watts of stereo.

Stock was either a 120A CS-130 (plug wires fits under, lasts about 18 mo) or a 120A CS-144 (plug wires do not fit under, lasts forever). There is also a 140A version of the CS-144 (stock 1991). Later alternators have different mounting points. Advance has about the best price on a CS-144 (last one I bought was $99 with a $60 core). Amazon sent me three of the wrong alternator before I gave up. I like "WorldWide" now "Remy" rebuilts, they bought the alternator rebuild business from Delco Remy.

BTW alternaters are rarely "weak" unless they blow a diode and diodes are replaceable, whole rebuild kit on eBay is about $45.

I think all Reattas came with a CS-144. These came in lots of larger GM cars, trucks, police vehicles, etc. There are a number of companies that offer upgraded CS-144s. (See for example: http://www.powermastermotorsports.com and http://www.alternatorparts.com) Some you can even use for welding!

One upgrade that would be interesting to try is using a newer AD-244 or maybe even a DR-44G. Though I think the latter needs some form of computer control.