Market for a good used 401 and T400 engine/transmission package?

Guest hahnster

Guest hahnster

I am live in California and I am a relatively new owner of a 1965 Riviera with a 401 and a T400 transmission. I want to do an engine swap with a GM LS motor. I don't want to get into the whys and what fors (that thread could take on a life of it's own). I am wondering if there is a market out there for a good used 401/T400 package. I would like to find a good home for them as they are way too good to scrap or sit in a corner of the garage but I am not even sure what they would be worth. The engine has about 14000 miles on the rebuild and I am not certain if the transmission has been rebuilt or not. It does have a new pan and I can say that the tranmission shifts really well and in fact the whole package operates very nicely. They are still in my car at this time.

I am live in California and I am a relatively new owner of a 1965 Riviera with a 401 and a T400 transmission. I want to do an engine swap with a GM LS motor. I don't want to get into the whys and what fors (that thread could take on a life of it's own). I am wondering if there is a market out there for a good used 401/T400 package. I would like to find a good home for them as they are way too good to scrap or sit in a corner of the garage but I am not even sure what they would be worth. The engine has about 14000 miles on the rebuild and I am not certain if the transmission has been rebuilt or not. It does have a new pan and I can say that the tranmission shifts really well and in fact the whole package operates very nicely. They are still in my car at this time.

Where in California?

Marty

Yes it has value. How much will determine on the level of documentation you have for the engine rebuild. The term "rebuilt" can have many definitions. The other will depend what area you live in and the population that is within driving distance. Since its 65 it should be the variable pitch tranny which is more sought after. I would advertise it here and on V8Buick.com.

Depending what your plans are for the car and how tight your budget is you may consider hanging on to it in the event of a future sell where a buyer may desire the original matching number drivetrain......assuming its the original of course.