Is this New Gas Tank Correct?

Guest Rob J

Rob, that tank looks like a Skylark or other "A" Body tank because the vent hole is to the left of the sending unit hole. The vent hole on your tank is close to the filler neck. The sending unit from a First Gen Riviera would not fit because it requires a sending unit that is bolted in place and is a larger diameter while the "A" Body tank uses a sending unit that is a smaller diameter and held in place with a gasket and a lock ring. Those items may not be that big of an issue to work around but with all that being said, would the curvature of the filler neck be correct and of the correct length? Often times companies will use a picture of something else as an illustration but I seriously doubt this tank would work IMHO.

I thought it looked good. I personally can't see where the vent tube is from the pic. And the sending unit hole looks correct (to me) with small holes around it for bolt in sending unit. Call the company and ask some ?'s. I was very impressed you found a re-pop tank. I had no idea someone made them. Let us know what you find out.

Guest rsmalling

sending unit placement is wrong, should be in the top of the tank. picture makes it look like its in the front edge. hard to tell on the rest of it, filler neck and what not.

I talked with a sales person at RPC about this tank. Asked him if the pictures was just a "stock photo" and what the dimensions of the tank were. He said the product is new to them; they just got some parts and numbers from Goodmark. He took some extra time and did some cross referencing and found that this tank, pictured and described, is actually a tank made by Spectra Premium. The tank is for an A body Buick - Skylark, Gs, etc. The attached link shows the application, capacities, and deminsions. So, bottom line, it's not for a Riviera. BUT, if the demisions are correct, why couldn't you use the correct sender (which Spetra Premium also makes) and retrofit the entire assembly under your Riviera?

ecat

Ed

The difference between the cars is the vent tube and the sending unit wiring. The vent tube on the Riv is in the rear and loops over the fill neck while the Skylark is on the front passenger side and normally loops up through the trunk area over the rear axle. That whole process should not be big deal to swap. The sending unit wire bolts to sending unit on the Riv and you would need to cut that connector off and crimp on a spade connector and you would probably need to add a ground wire to the new sending unit. The only downside to this conversion is that most of the replacement sending units are not matched to the fuel gauge. From personal experience with an aftermarket sending unit it would read less than 3/4 with a full tank in my 1966 Skylark GS. I had the original sending unit rebuilt and the gauge worked perfect. Some people after purchasing an aftermarket sending unit will send the fuel gauge and sending unit to of the re-builders and have them calibrated together. This sounds like a lot of trouble but the upside is if the dimensions are correct and you have a bad tank this would probably be the cheapest way to get a tank for your car. If you do this please post back on this forum and let everyone know the pros and cons to the whole process.