Advice concerning stuck engine please?

Hi all,

I had my 1930 model 47 engine professionally rebuilt 1 1/2 years ago (cylinders bored, new everything from EGGE, et. al.).

I have been turning it over with the crank regularly (at least once a month). Today when I hooked the battery up to use the starter it would not turn over. I tried the crank and I can't turn it over with the crank. It is offically stuck.

So, I pulled out the plugs and shot oil and PB Blaster into the cylinders and I am letting it sit over night.

I there anything else I can try?

Thanks in advance,

Dwight

Can I try to turn it backwards or would that do damage?

Edited by Dwight Romberger
spelling (see edit history)

Dwight, You are doing things right for now. I would continue to spray your favorite concoction for a couple of days and then try to turn by hand. If that does not work, I would put it in second gear and then with a couple of friends rock the car forward and back a few times. If it is barely stuck, this should free it up. If that does not work I would put in a new concoction of 1/2 ATF and 1/2 acetone. That is the recommend fluid to break the little rust bond between the rings and the cylinder wall. It does not take much rust to stop it from turning. Keep us updated.

Thanks John and Stuart.

Good News!

I gave it a try with the starter today and it turned over!

Now what?

Based on some of the other threads, I should put oil in all the cylinders (1/2 cup?), turn it over for a couple of minutes, then drain the oil and put fresh in the crankcase.

Does that sound right?

Dwight

Dwight,

I would certainly not put a half a cup of anything in the cylinders. There is a chance the engine will "hydro lock". If your goal is to lube the cylinder walls prior to full oil pressure, a few sprits of ATF will do the job. Fresh "break in" oil is also a good idea, and I would contact EGGE for sugguestions, but it is usually thinner than you would normally run.

Just my $ .02

Mike in Colorado

I agree with Mike. Also did you have the plugs loose or out when you left it sitting? Condensation is usually the bad guy in this. I would just put in a teaspoon of Marvel Mystery Oil and put the plugs in and turn her over a few times. I would not over do it either. Just go back two your every couple of months routine rotation. Also you have to remember you are not building any pressure so your main bearings are not getting much oil if any. You want to be careful.

OK Mike and John. Thanks

I had the spark plugs in while it was sitting. Oil in the crankcase but the radiator is not hooked up yet so no water in the jacket or gas in the carb.

I will pick up some Marvel Mystery oil tomorrow.

I will also change the oil to get the PB Blaster out of there.

Thanks again for all your help.

Dwight