Got my engine back frrm the machine shop (some Pics)

Guest rsmalling

Guest rsmalling

Painted on the left rear cylinder bank is a large 5 in yellow. Whats it mean? Is it an easy way for factory to tell its a 425?

post-76092-143139103472_thumb.jpg

Next I will be removing the flash from the lifter valley and general deburring. It looks like the factory used an air chisel the break the flash out....

post-76092-143139103597_thumb.jpg

Heads

post-76092-143139103621_thumb.jpg

post-76092-143139103499_thumb.jpg

post-76092-143139103523_thumb.jpg

post-76092-143139103549_thumb.jpg

post-76092-143139103573_thumb.jpg

Guest Rob J

Looks nice and clean Rob. Make sure you clean all those oil galleries nice and good, and don't forget to plug all the the galleries in the rear of the block, especially the one that is sort of hidden in the rear. It commonly get's left unplugged. Funny, I just dropped off my short block at the machine shop two days ago. Looking forward in getting it back. Keep posting the progress.

As long as you have the block apart, you can measure the bore to determine if it's a 425*. Here's a link that takes you to the Team Buick website and an artcile researched and written by ROA Trustee and Tech Advisor Darwin Falk.

Team Buick Forum

The stroke on the 401 and 425 engines are the same, only the bore is different - 425 is 1/8" bigger (0.125")

401 bore = 4.1875

425 bore = 4.3125

Now that the carbon ridge is gone, this should be easy to measure.

Ed

Guest rsmalling
As long as you have the block apart, you can measure the bore to determine if it's a 425*. Here's a link that takes you to the Team Buick website and an artcile researched and written by ROA Trustee and Tech Advisor Darwin Falk.

Team Buick Forum

The stroke on the 401 and 425 engines are the same, only the bore is different - 425 is 1/8" bigger (0.125")

401 bore = 4.1875

425 bore = 4.3125

Now that the carbon ridge is gone, this should be easy to measure.

Ed

Right on Ed, its the org LX block that came with my car, as the vin is also stamped on the left front of the block, so it better be a 425! :D.

Rob, I will clean all the galleries with a bore bush, it was a dirty block, and still not clean enough for me, so Im going to go over it with a fine tooth comb. Still has some rust on the out side I will have to deal with. I got the plug kit from my regular part supplier and it was half correct, so I called up TA performance and they have the correct and complete set (brass Freeze Plugs and steel oil galley plugs, includes the plugs for the heads) $35.

Opin up the www.V8Buick.com forum and register with them (free.) Then scroll down until you find "Da' Nailhead" forum. These guys do one thing and one thing only - drive cars powered by Buick Nailheads. Look for any post by Tom Telesco. His motto is "If I don't have it, you don't need it." That's true for parts and advice. He owns his own garage and is a whiz with nailheads. He'll know exactly what you need and can supply it for you. He'll also tell you where to look for and how to install that hidden oil plug that's somewhere in and behind the opening for the distributor.

If you search around, you can find pictures of him drag racing his '64 Riviera. The coolest picture is the one with the left front wheel pulled off the ground. 300,000 + miles on this same car and he drives it 'long haul' on the Hot Rod Power Tour.

Ed

Guest Rob J

Ed is right, I second Tom's knowledge. He is a Nailhead encyclopedia. I've talked to him numerous times, and he rebuilt my carb. He's a valuable asset, and a super easy going guy to talk to as well. Here's a pic of my original carb rebuilt by Tom.

DSCN2989.jpg

Guest rsmalling

Super looking job on the Carb Rob! Yeah, several folks have told me about him. Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it.

At the 2010 ROA meet in Hershey PA, Tom sat in on the tech advisory board for that morning's discussion. He enlightened so many members with his knowledge, we ran over our time for the morning. I'll bet that he spent most of time while there, helping other members understand how to solve a lot of their problems.

I've gained much information just by talking to him on the phone. I'll call him and ask hiim about one thing, and he'll make sure I understand that as well as some other underlying things that I wouldn't have thought about.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

At the 2010 ROA meet in Hershey PA, Tom sat in on the tech advisory board for that morning's discussion. He enlightened so many members with his knowledge, we ran over our time for the morning. I'll bet that he spent most of time while there, helping other members understand how to solve a lot of there problems.

Ed

Indeed! Tom of course rebuilt my carbs and the timing worked for him to deliver them personally to the Hershey meet. He asked when/what time I was going to install them prior to show day since I had brought the completed chassis. I said well I get up early. Tom said no problem he'll be ready to assist in installing the carbs 7:00am. No extra charge of course! Now thats service. The only thing I regret is not getting a picture of him in the trailer helping with the install.

Rob S - One step closer on the engine. Not sure what the big yellow 5 represents. Interesting. Apparently some sort of identifier for some process on the production line.

Edited by JZRIV (see edit history)

Guest rsmalling
At the 2010 ROA meet in Hershey PA, Tom sat in on the tech advisory board for that morning's discussion. He enlightened so many members with his knowledge, we ran over our time for the morning. I'll bet that he spent most of time while there, helping other members understand how to solve a lot of there problems.

I've gained much information just by talking to him on the phone. I'll call him and ask hiim about one thing, and he'll make sure I understand that as well as some other underlying things that I wouldn't have thought about.

Ed

Ed and Jason,

I talked to Tom Telesco yesterday and he is THE Man on Nailheads! He spent a lot of time with me and I came away with some great tips and info and reassurances on some of the stuff I was doing. Ideas I never even thought about. He really cares and knows his stuff.

Edited by rsmalling
Corrected Tom's last name spelling (see edit history)

For any of the rest of you who are in need of parts or machine/mechanical work, here is the signature line for Tom Telesco from one of his posts on the V8Buick forum. I've copied and pasted it.

Tom Telesco

Classic and Muscle Automotive

465 Glenbrook Rd

Stamford, CT 06906-1820

Day Phone 203-324-6045 ET

NailHead Mini-Starters '53-'66

Adjustable Roller Tip Rocker Arms - All NailHeads

"If I can't get it, you don't need it!"

My favorite picture of Tom's car. If you look closely enough, you can see that the left from wheel has been lifted off the ground.

<CENTER>64_riv_1c.jpg</CENTER>

Guest rsmalling
That would be Tom "Telesco". Tolinski would be Polish and I don't think he's Polish ;)

I must be over worked or something! Sorry Tom!