Identifying a Ford engine

Guest Tom Timmins

Guest Tom Timmins

I bought a '55 Ford Sunliner to restore, but the engine and transmission had been replaced by a later model, probably from the '60's. How can I identify the year of the motor?

Tom

IF it's not a Y-block or FE/MEL-series engine, then there should be plenty of visuals as to which engine family it's from. Each had their own unique "look" and valve cover shapes.

Another consideration would be to take the carb number and distributor number and then go from there. Hopefully, those items would not have been both changed, but if they were still OEM Ford, they can be tracked as mentioned above, as to model year and model of vehicle. Ford's number system is pretty simple . . .

Letter 1 Decade B=50, C=60, D=70, E=80

Letter 2 Year in particular decade

Letters 3 & 4 Model of vehicle used in, if there was a first, specific use

From what we've got here, a 1966 Mustang would be C6ZZ

Next sequence of numbers The parts "group" for the respective part

Last sequence of letters/numbers Design change from original use

C6ZZ-__.______-_____

I highly suspect there are some online casting number listings for Ford engines, plus details about what went where and when. Very possibly similar with OEM distributors and carburetors . . . especially if Mustangs or other desireable Fords are in the mix.

Can you post a picture of the engine?

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest Tom Timmins

Thanks for you help! Now if I can only get enough grease and dirt off the block to find the casting marks I will be in fine shape,

Tom