Starter troubles...

Guest Blaszer

Guest Blaszer

Hi there..I have a 29 model a sport coupe....I finally have the timing and carb all in tune...But it seems lately, When the car is warm and I hit the starter pedal,I hear the starter engage...Not move....Then turn the car over and it starts....I pull the starter and I find the bolt near the tip of the starter on the bendix is sheared off....WHat happenned????????? Also, before all this,, When the car really lugs, (like when I slip the clutch to back up) I hear the sound of metal on metal clanking from the flywheel I would guess.... Steve

Guest Blaszer

I guess I should mention that it started ok. then I went to take it out today and the starter just spins away without engaging...Then I pulled it and found what I explained above...Steve

I'm not sure what you're asking.In your first post you say the starter engages but doesn't move. Then you say it turns freely but doesn't engage. You also say if you turn it over (with a hand crank?) it willm start. That sounds like bad teeth on the ring gear. The starter has to turn to screw into the bendix, thereby pulling it back to the ring gear. If the starter's bad nothing will happen. You can take the inspection cover off and watch the armature as you pull the foot rod down to the contact. You should also be able to turn the armature freely with the main wire dis connected.

Guest Blaszer

On sat., The starter would engage, not turn, then crank the engine and it would start.....I tried to start it sun, and the starter turns like crazy , but not engage,,,,,,I pulled tthe starter to find the bolt in the bendix spring sheared off....What would cause all of this?

My guess would be that as the starter bendix bolt was working loose, it caused some binding which caused the early problem. Then, the bolt sheared off resulting in your current bendix issue. You need to make sure you find and remove all of the miscellaneous bolt and other residue in the flywheel housing. You could remove the flywheel inspection cover and get access to remove those broken pieces. There are a few other old time remedies involving grease or magnets to remove the broken residue, but pulling the inspection cover is probably the best thing to do.

Guest Blaszer

Thank you for the help....I removed the inspection cover......But where would these pieces be? How far down could they have gone? I reached in and tried one of those 2 foot long spring loaded grabbers, but it felt like a needle in a haystack challenge...I'm pretty new to these little Fords,,,If it was a Flat Fender Dodge Power wagon, I'd be done by now,.,...Thanks again Steve

A couple of ways to retrieve broken parts from "down under". Place a small magnet, like the heftier ones in the back of some refridgerator magnets, on the flywheel and slowly turn it 360 degrees. It should pick up any ferrous metal parts when she comes back up around. Another way is to clump a handful of axle grease on flywheel, turn that flywheel again, with the crank, and it too, will pick things up. Then remove grease. Just don't let the grease get into anywhere else, and don't use the red stuff, try to find the older brown, thicker type grease. It tends to stay put better. As far as your problem with starter, If you're running 12 volts, it's hard on your Bendix!! If it's the original 6 volts, check the little spring and tooth in the starter drive gear. It's probably bad, letting your Bendix drive gear to float on Bendix spiral, sometimes engaging onto flywheel when you don't want it to. Don't grease the Bendix, spray the parts with silicone lube if anything.

Guest Blaszer

......If I didnt see it myself, I wouldnt believe it!!!!!!! I did the magnet trick and I got the bolt and the clip washer in the first swoop!!!!!!Thank you everyone for your help....Steve