Looking for a 63-65 Riv Speedometer Cobversion Decal - MPH to KPH

fast_dave

OK -

I know we have a lot of foreign members as well as some Riv guru's so I'll run this by you.

My bro-in-law in Sweden has to take the Riv for it's first of it's yearly inspections at a place called bilprovning (translation is literally Car Testing).

Bilprovning is Sweden's answer to America's Department of Transportation.

These guys are waaaaayyyyy official and by totally by the book - I know, as I have dealt with them when I lived there. 1/3 of the cars we have in the rust free PRK wouldn't pass the muster of the boys down at Bilprovning...

When the Swedes get the letter that says their car has to go for inspection - you hear the cussing in the room begin.

Granted, it is a somewhat worthy program because Sweden gets the kind of snow that necessitates using salt, sand, and gravel on the roads, and that is just hell on the cars.

Anyways - Leif knows that sooner or later they aren't going to like his current making tape "conversion" of MPH to KPH (Miles per Hour to Kilometers per Hour), and he's going to get dinged for it.

So the long background to my question is does anybody know of someone who has made a speedometer face decal that will convert MPH to KPH?

Any and all replies are valued :cool:

Guest Lasse

A bro-fist of sympathy goes out across the bay to your brother-in-law. We in Finland are under the same kind of draconian vehicle inspection regulations and the guys who enforce them. Many a tale, death-threat and song has been written about them.

However, the MPH speedometer is not an issue at all here. And I know some guys in Sweden also driving old-timer American cars, and none of them have a KPH conversion or have ever complained about this. Are you sure he´s not just being messed with by some jerk?

You can buy sheets of clear gloss laser labels that will go in a laser printer.

For example: Clear Gloss Laser - Full Sheet Labels - Sheet Labels - OL175 - 8.5" x 11"

Using a computer program of your choice, lay out the KPH numbers in a circle. Test print on paper. Cut out the paper and hold up to the lens. You can include very lightly dotted lines to guide where to cut out. Then cut out and stick to the front face of the speedometer lens.

FYI, the speedometer lens comes off very easily to work on it. There is a small set screw on the lower edge. Loosen that and the bezel plus lens lifts right off. So you can work on the lens on your desk top, then reinstall when the numbers are all on there.

You could also print small individual numbers on the clear gloss laser labels, cut them each out and stick each on around the lens. That would not require full size sheets of clear labels. You could print them on smaller clear address labels, available in office supply stores.

A bro-fist of sympathy goes out across the bay to your brother-in-law. We in Finland are under the same kind of draconian vehicle inspection regulations and the guys who enforce them. Many a tale, death-threat and song has been written about them.

However, the MPH speedometer is not an issue at all here. And I know some guys in Sweden also driving old-timer American cars, and none of them have a KPH conversion or have ever complained about this. Are you sure he´s not just being messed with by some jerk?

Lasse - Bro-fist of sympathy will be passed along.

I do not know all of the details, BUT - I do know the Bilprovning he has to go to, and they "dinged" my nearly new car for a number of "issues" they had with the car... And, as you know, these guys are the law, and once they find something wrong, it's better to just shut your mouth, as they can turn up the heat and continue to find more things wrong with your car. This is the third time Leif has contacted me about this question - so he's scared about some law enforcement official coming down on him like Thor's Hammer ;-)

Here's a possible option. Scroll down until you find part #54RA2

Speedometer Gear, Speedometer Gears, Ford, GM, Dodge 700R4

Ed

I would not recommend spinning a stock MPH speedometer at KPH revs. Only 60 MPH will be indicating 100 if converted to KPH. You will easily be up to the 140 maximum.

In addition to that, all of your odometer readings will now be going up at kilometer rates instead of mile rates. So you will have to constantly adjust "this many miles as miles" and "this many kilometers converted back to miles". Too much effort.

Yeah, but it would surely look cool if you filmed, but it on YouTube, but didn't tell anyone what you'd done. That's only 85 mph. :)

Jim, do the magnets on the back of the head start to deterioate at higher revs?

Ed

I don't know about the magnets. I just don't think I want to spin the entire works that fast.