Year check

Guest Kadiddilhopper

Guest Kadiddilhopper

I have what should be a 1936 Buick Business coupe. Recently purchased at an estate auction. Is there a place I can check numbers so I know what I actually have. The car is a good driver, hopefully correct. I do have the Body, Frame, and Engine numbers.

Klem

post-86529-143139092683_thumb.jpg

Klem,

If you post the info you have of the firwall tag here, there should be any number of people on this forum to tell you. It sure looks like a '36 Business Coupe to me, but I am far from export. You should consider joining the BCA.

John

Should be a 1936 Model 46 2 passenger 2 door business coupe with Deck ( the Fisher Style number is 364477B ). The Model number ( 46 ) and Fisher Style ( 364477B or 4477B ) should be on your ID plate.

10,912 were produced and a further 16 for export.

Popular models with a big following on this Forum. Congats on your purchase.

Guest Kadiddilhopper

Thanks. I was fairly confident that the body year was correct. The plate is still on the firewall and appears to be original. The frame number also seems to be original 2951750 hopefully correct for the body. The engine number 1290710-2 is cast in the block on the right side. This is the one I am most curious about if it is correct to the year.

The car was redone, apparently frame off and well done by an amateur and finished about 13-14 years ago. Believed to have set in covered storage and not ran after rebuilt. Car was sold at auction as non running which proved to be a faulty starter instead of engine seized as announced by the mechanic at the auction company. The old girl starts, drives and stops as she should. I took it for a 70 mile road trip with no overheating, good oil pressure and more than satisfactory performance. The only down side so far is a six volt alternator instead of the generator which I do have. And a paint job that I would describe as a 20 footer. But then that really doesn't bother me as I intend to drive the car on regular basis believing that machines were meant to be used, and one that is perfect stays under the cover too much.

I have joined the BCA and hopefully will get some good advice on care and feeding of the Buick. It's been many years since I have dealt with an old car and find I am the rusty one in this case.

Don

For the engine number you are looking for a stamped number. It should be stamped on a flat pad on the passenger side of the engine towards the front. The range for 1936 is X2995239 to X3166224, where X = car series. Since your car is a Special (Series 40) the X should be a 4.