1989 Maserati TC - How to replace Head Gasket - Also willing to part the car out cheap

Guest bernie

Guest bernie

Hi folks, this is my first post and I have a question about pulling the head on my 1969 Maserati TC P motor. I have everything disconnected on the front of the motor, not sure what needs to be done on rear of motor and where to find the fittings that need to be disconnected. I read on another forum -

" The intake/exhaust manifolds should stay attached to your head until the whole assembly is on the bench. Just take loose the exhaust at the downpipe (those shoulder bolts will likely break off, easy to find new ones at auto parts or dealership), the oil feed to the turbo (I like to take it from the front of the motor where the oil feed line comes out of the distribution block, careful, dont round it off!)the oil return to the block, the water return to the block (below the power steering pump) fuel lines, vacuum lines (carefull, they are BRITTLE)and various electrical connections. Then take the headbolts out and have a freind help you lift the whole shebang off."

If I understand correctly the only thing on the back of the motor seems to be the "the oil return to the block", if so how do I get to it.

I bought the car with a broken spark plug and ez-out stuck in it. I'm not sure the head can even be saved thus I'm considering parting the car out.

PARTING OUT - The car is really primo, amazing for its age. I will part the car out if I get enough offers for parts. Willing to sell just about anything for very resonable prices, much less then eBay. I live in Albany, NY and would consider delivering up to approx. 400 miles, I'm open to discuss mileage charges.

Thanks in advance to everyone for any help provided.

Bernie

Edited by bernie (see edit history)

The oil return is the only rubber hose on the back side of the block. They forgot that you also have to remove the timing belt cover. The head is nothing special unless you have the 16 valve engine (manual transmission). You can swap the turbo valves to a non turbo head from 87 up. If you are not strong or don't have a friend to help, pull the hood and use an engine hoist to lift the head. Turbo-Mopar will have all the info in the Knowledge Center.

Other items in the rear include the turbo brace and the turbo water return line. These are accessible from under the car if the car is up on ramps or better. The oil line has a hose clamp, the water line is a flare at the block and the brace is bolted. Timing belt needs to come off cam. If you can keep it supported you may not need to retime all the pulleys.

If it was me would consider other ways to remove plug remains including lots of de-rusting lube and maybe left hand drill bits. Of course would require lots of careful clean up in the cylinder through the hole. once put an insert in a turbo one with the head on the engine. Have also replaced head gaskets with out completely removing the head from the car, exhaust and many of the lines stayed connected.

There are two different engines in 2.2 89 TC's that are listed as P. Some are 88 motors and others are 89 which are the common block. Both have the three speed auto transmission. Many different parts including timing belts, pulleys, water pump, O2 sensor, block, crank and some seals etc.

You didn't mention colors etc, I'm less than 50 miles from you.

-Rich

Guest bernie

Thanks very much guys, got the car jacked up, now I know what I'm looking for. I think everything on the front of the motor is done, timing cover is off and I'm going to do my best to keep tension on the timing belt.

Rich, I see we're neighbors, is there a way I can get in touch with you.

Forgot to post pictures of the car, don't have the best camera but here's a couple to check out.

PICTURES WERE TAKEN ON JULY 12, 2012, forgot to set date in camera.

post-86706-143139093664_thumb.jpg

post-86706-143139093667_thumb.jpg

Edited by bernie (see edit history)

See if the Lanes can loan you the TC manual. It is way better than most manuals. The timing belt needs to be removed. You want to get a head gasket from TurbosUnleashed.com. It is a MOPAR Performance head gasket. Do not use the parts store gasket. Take the head to a machine shop to get the plug removed and the head checked.

While you have it in the air, check the CV boots on the axles for tears or cracks.

Have fun getting greasy.

Guest bernie

Is the Chrysler head interchangeable with the Maserati head? Since there may be an issue with the turbo and I'm not willing to put much more money into the car (although I would like to get it running) I would consider removing the turbo (please don't flame me), go with out it and use a standard Chrysler head. Other then plugging a bunch of holes any idea what else I'd be dealing with, intake manifold, exhaust manifold, I assume I can swap the ones over from the TC if necessary. Issue with down pipe to exhaust? Am I even in the right ball park as far as the head is concerned or am I totally off base. When you mention swap the valves are we talking the ones in the turbo head, valve job?

Thanks much for all your help, you guys have been great, amazing amount of knowledge.

Guest Jim_McNally

Unless you have the 16 valve (and I don't see the badge on the side of the car) the head is a standard Chrysler Turbo II (as long as you get the right one for the common or non-common block, whichever one you have). All the manifolds, etc. should bolt up...

Jim