Drum Speedometer Q

MikeC5

My 25's drum speedometer sort of works but the drum fluctuates wildly. The odometer appears to work properly. Is this a common malady for these? Anyone have any tips on fixing it? I'm not afraid to take it apart...

Guest DodgeKCL

Almost any speedometer that jumps around has a sticking cable. The cable "drys" out and as it spins it "snaps" as it tries to keep up with the tranny gear. This makes the needle or drum fluctuate. It could be just a matter of pulling the inside of the cable and brushing on some silicone grease along the length of the inner core piece. Do not use oil. Moden silicone grease is best because it will not melt and run down and away.

There is also an off chance the guts of the speedo are "touching". The cable spins a magnet which,through the air,drags the needle or drum with it. The gap is very small and if the speedo has been dropped the parts can be warped and touch occaisionally as they spin. This can cause the same effect. It's easy to fix if you are a DIY type and can take the speedo apart. If not I'm sure we can help you do it here. That's if the problem isn't a dry cable.

Mike, I couldn't say it any better than DodgeKCL did. Sometimes a strand of the inner cable will catch inside housing tube and foul things up. If you take the stranded inner cable out of the outer housing cable, beware of any broken strands while running your fingers on the thing. Don't ask me how I know this.