1956 oldsmobile front suspension help needed

Guest cobalt3

Guest cobalt3

im going to rebuild my 1956 old front end..just need help...the pictures show it..i was wondering if i can just replace the rubber bushings and not the metal items on all the ones i labeled with thw letter B ..as far as the ones with the letter A im replacing everything...any thoughts or where the best place to get parts..or helpful info on the job would be great..thanks shanepost-81981-143139073219_thumb.jpg

post-81981-143139073208_thumb.jpg

post-81981-143139073216_thumb.jpg

Kanter or USA Parts Supply will come closer to having these suspension parts than Fusick. However, Fusick for all the reproduction body & trim parts.

If the metal pieces aren't rusted to point of being structurally weak, you can get by with replacing the rubber parts only. What you've already cleaned up looks good to me.

Guest pete324rock

The rubbers are just dust shields...the cheapest part of the lot. I did my suspension a long time ago with various parts collected off of ebay at more reasonable prices than what you are in for. Actually the whole front end rebuild kit is available on ebay, I think it is $400 plus range which isn't too bad considering the work involved to install it.Those bushing are tough to get out.Make sure the parts are worn before you do this,I think the spring tension has to be off and then it is obvious. The adjustable bushings are more expensive and control alignment,have an acme thread on them.Big tools involved. You should have a manual...its all there.

Guest cobalt3

yep most of it was well protected from rust by a inch of tar oil grease you name it...i literally had to chisel and scrape it off...thanks for the info..by the time im done with my car i will know every square inch of it...

Guest pete324rock

1956 OLDSMOBILE 88 SUPER 88 98 ORIGINAL SHOP MANUAL CANADIAN ISSUE ALSO FOR USA | eBay

This is a canadian one,cheapest one I see but exact same as american....best investment you can make if you want to fix this car,otherwise you will be lost.Take my advice. I know my book from cover to cover....still scratching my head at times. Do yourself a favor and get the manual.Not a waste of money.Very hard to answer completely all your questions here...you must get the book.

Guest slyhog022056

Can I make a suggestion??? Go to Prothanes website and get polyurethane bushings and sway bar end links. Just get your measurements inside and outside diameters and match them up with the parts they have. Believe it or not you can buy almost every bushing a piece at a time for a lot less than the rubber kit cost and you will be much happier in the long run by using poly bushings. You can remove the ones in the upper and lower A arms by clamping it down and using a holesaw just smaller than the outside diameter of the bushing. Drill thru from both sides if you have too, then take a small hand torch and finish it off. I have changed hundreds of suspension bushings this way over the years and eliminates a lot of headaches. Be sure to either blast them, or wire brush them and paint or powdercoat them before you put in the bushings makes things look a lot better. you can get a home powdercoating outfit for under $150 and do it yourself. Just DONT use an oven your wife will be cooking in, the outgassing from the powdercoat contaminates the oven permanently.

Guest cobalt3

thanks for the info slyhog...i added it to my internet favs folder for my 56 build...alot of good stuff i see in it for the front end..eps being just the rubber is bad and not the metal.. tightening up the front end of the car is getting cheaper and cheaper..i like that...:D

Guest slyhog022056
thanks for the info slyhog...i added it to my internet favs folder for my 56 build...alot of good stuff i see in it for the front end..eps being just the rubber is bad and not the metal.. tightening up the front end of the car is getting cheaper and cheaper..i like that...:D

What i will be doing for the bushings i cant match up and other parts is making my own. I have a 13 speed drill press and a 4 jaw chuck, for wood, that fits i myy drill press. I can buy teflon rods up too 5" diameter, chuck pieces longer than i need into it and machine away using simple tools. I made leaf spring bushings this way and they work great, just remember whenever you put in teflon or other plastic bushings use lots of lubricant or they squeek like h$&%.

I dont mind offering other solutions for things like this at all, i mean we are all trying to save a little bit here and there and there is nothing better than being able to brag to someone that you made them or did it yourself. The reason i got $5000 for my datsun was because the guy that bought it never even drove it and offered me more than i actually wanted because he knew he was dealing with the person that did all the work and made or modified allpost-86021-143139078174_thumb.jpg the parts on the entire car.

post-86021-143139078154_thumb.jpg

post-86021-143139078162_thumb.jpg

post-86021-143139078164_thumb.jpg

post-86021-143139078166_thumb.jpg

post-86021-143139078168_thumb.jpg

post-86021-14313907817_thumb.jpg

post-86021-143139078172_thumb.jpg