wheel puller

Guest 27oldcry

Guest 27oldcry

Looking for rear wheel / hub puller for 27 chrysler 70 royal sedan to beg, borrow, or purchase. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks JGG

Guest 27oldcry

Looking for wheel puller for 27 chrysler 70. The hub diam. is 2 3/8" and the thread is 16 per inch 30 pitch. I have talked to a machine shop and he will build one, that may be the best I can do. Thanks, JGG

Guest stude8

The puller in this ad works on most passenger car hubs from 20's & 30's as well as later models. The ad is from an OTC (Owatonna Tool Co) but I think Sears Roebuck even carried this type tool.

Stude8post-31139-143139073262_thumb.jpg

The puller in this ad works on most passenger car hubs from 20's & 30's as well as later models. The ad is from an OTC (Owatonna Tool Co) but I think Sears Roebuck even carried this type tool.

Stude8[ATTACH=CONFIG]143183[/ATTACH]

That will NOT work on wood spoke wheels.

Guest WKnighter

George McMurtry makes the best pullers I have ever seen. He made one for me a few years ago. (gmcmurtry@embarqmail.com)

Larry

Guest stude8

I didn't see that it said "Wood Spoke Wheels", then you need the hub gripper type tool to use with the puller tool. Usually they have been on the axle for 50 years or more and require super pulling power and a little heat from an acetylene torch to expand the steel hub and loosen it from the threads.

The attached photo shows the set up it took to pull the rear hubs on my 1928 Studebaker Commander to get at the brakes inside. The 3/4" steel hub thread gripper was made by a machinist in NY through another friend and I don't know his name but the name mentioned in the other response to this thread is a good resource.

Note the 1/4" steel plate behind the hub gripper to use the OTC 3 arm puller, you will need a lot of pulling power to break the hub loose and striking the OTC tool shaft on the end with a heavy mallet is the kind of shock that does the job.

Stude8post-31139-143139073864_thumb.jpg

I didn't see that it said "Wood Spoke Wheels", then you need the hub gripper type tool to use with the puller tool. Usually they have been on the axle for 50 years or more and require super pulling power and a little heat from an acetylene torch to expand the steel hub and loosen it from the threads.

The attached photo shows the set up it took to pull the rear hubs on my 1928 Studebaker Commander to get at the brakes inside. The 3/4" steel hub thread gripper was made by a machinist in NY through another friend and I don't know his name but the name mentioned in the other response to this thread is a good resource.

Note the 1/4" steel plate behind the hub gripper to use the OTC 3 arm puller, you will need a lot of pulling power to break the hub loose and striking the OTC tool shaft on the end with a heavy mallet is the kind of shock that does the job.

Stude8[ATTACH=CONFIG]143281[/ATTACH]

The hub diameter the original poster gave tells us that it is a wood wheel car. I am sure that your contraption would work, too.

Guest stude8

Had to go back in the photo files a few years to find the photos of the rear hub puller tools shown in the previous post all attached to the hub. These show each tool more clearly.

Stude8post-31139-143139074574_thumb.jpg

post-31139-14313907456_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143139074567_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 27oldcry

Thanks for all the help, I took the wheel I got off to a machine shop and had one made. I took a lot of torque and a big hammer but it came off

Thanks to all

JGG