Has anyone ever installed an aftermarket stereo in a Reatta?

Guest astro355

Guest astro355

I'm looking to install an aftermarket stereo in my Reatta. But obviously, because of the limited space, I'm looking for ideas. Its not about having a CD player as much as a unit thats compatible with a USB port. My Reatta does have the cassette player but that space isn't that large either. I'm considering fabricating a new center console out of fiberglass. I would eliminate the ashtray, moving the power window and mirror switches back in that space, then moving the shifter back 3-4 inches. Then from the front of the shifter at a 45* angle to the top of the cassette player would give me an area to work with. I would also have to make that area a little wider. But that's only an idea.

You're not going to be able to move the shifter without a whole lot of work. It's pretty much part of the car, and the shifter cable (that goes from the shifter to tye transmission) won't be long enough.

Probably your best bet is to mount your radio inside of the arm rest (I've seen that done) or perhaps sorta under the dash in the footwell area on the passenger side.

Keep us posted!

Sent from my mobile device using Forum Runner

Guest SoCalReatta

Put a stereo head unit in the truck of glove box. You can then control it with a remote or your phone (if you have a smart phone). A new console is a good idea but a bit compilcated and probably the most costly.

I am working on this very problem in my 88. I am modifying the console housing for the stock cassette to accommodate a double DIN nav/media stereo. I am not far enough along to show pics of it yet. I've have hacked up a spare console, and measured to verify that this will work, but will be needing to tack weld a new double DIN "cage" onto the remaining steel shell of the console housing, and then recover the shell with new matching vinyl (burgundy in the case of my car). Will also need to fabricate a harness and split the antenna lead-in as I will retain both the stock radio usable from the CRT, and the new nav system which will be mounted where the cassette deck would be.

If you have fiberglass fab skills you could certainly make a custom console, though as already covered, moving the shifter would be a real dog of a job. As well, mounting most newer nav systems at a 45° angle would impact visibility of the screen as most LCD's have a limited viewing angle, and 45° is off-axis enough to make it appear washed out when looking down at it from the driver's seat.

Naturally, if one is concerned about originality for judging or otherwise, then hiding it in the center console or glove box is probably the best option.

KDirk

Guest astro355

The only reason I'm considering a 45* angle is because there won't be enough depth, same problem with the glovebox. I don't know what's in the dash behind where the cassette player rests. Relocating the shifter backwards 3-4 inches shouldn't be that difficult. Its bolted to the tunnel and using an adapter plate between the shifter and tunnel would allow me to move it.

Honestly, I hadn't considered the center console and that maybe a possibility. Definitely easier than what I wanted to do.:confused:

Guest Mc_Reatta

Why don't you get a unit that has a separate head unit and power module. You can mount the control unit in place of the Cassette Player and tuck the power unit wherever you want.

Or you can do what a lot of us have done and repair the stock unit and utilize the aux inputs to add on any other input sources and output options we want.

I'm looking to install an aftermarket stereo in my Reatta. But obviously, because of the limited space, I'm looking for ideas. Its not about having a CD player as much as a unit thats compatible with a USB port. My Reatta does have the cassette player but that space isn't that large either. I'm considering fabricating a new center console out of fiberglass. I would eliminate the ashtray, moving the power window and mirror switches back in that space, then moving the shifter back 3-4 inches. Then from the front of the shifter at a 45* angle to the top of the cassette player would give me an area to work with. I would also have to make that area a little wider. But that's only an idea.

Here is what I used after about $5,000 in diffrent equipment from almost evey company, JL, Alpine, ect.. All fell short of my over all goals.

keenwood keenwood kos v1000 keenwood audio kenwood sound spkrs honda toyota for | eBay

Kenwood Video Box KOS-CV100 | eBay

If fits under the driver seat, you can use any raw screen with the vga adapter, or you can find one of the touch screens they make for it. A 7 inch screen mounts nicely where the tape deck is. It can expand to almost any thing you can think of; from ipods, to hdds. Also I have my factory radio connected so all of its functions work and sound great through the kenwood. If you want a cheaper solution they also sell a kos-v500, it does pretty much the same things with a lower end audio section. I can get a new 500 for $175 from the online aafes store.

Guest astro355
Why don't you get a unit that has a separate head unit and power module. You can mount the control unit in place of the Cassette Player and tuck the power unit wherever you want.

Or you can do what a lot of us have done and repair the stock unit and utilize the aux inputs to add on any other input sources and output options we want.

This is exactly why I posted about my idea. What aux inputs?

And to answer another question, yes, I'm a audiophile. I can't stand the stock stuff, it doesn't sound right. I've been told I'm crazy before but I'm sure another audiophile knows exactly what I'm talking about.

Guest Corvanti

no, i understand. i used to be an "audiophile". but after listening to "Dark Side of the Moon" and "Who's Next" thru the years on headphones - as loud as i could stand it - i've lost some hearing capacity... ;)

Guest SoCalReatta

I don't think the 88's and 89's have an aux input. I was told that by one of the electronic restoration companies that advertise with our fourm.

You can create an AUX input. I have by using the wires from the tape player. Works great.

FM transmitters are very nice. I have one for my '90 convertible. I like the DLO brand. However, due to the wiring pattern of the '88/'89s, the cigar lighter get a lot of "dirty" power, which then gets transmitted and leads to "dirty sound" coming through your speakers.

I have overhauled the sound system in my '89 coupe. I upgraded the speaker brackets to the '90/'91 6x9" models (88/89 used a 6" speaker with tweeter), which give me a lot more bass. I used the Infinity Kappas 6x9" for the rear and the same 5.25" speakers in the front.

I also installed a rebuilt radio module that I stock.

It sounds really great to me. and I am an "audiophile". ;)

Not quite as good as my dad's Mazda Tribute with the premium sound system, but if you EQ it right, it sounds really good.

This is exactly why I posted about my idea. What aux inputs?

And to answer another question, yes, I'm a audiophile. I can't stand the stock stuff, it doesn't sound right. I've been told I'm crazy before but I'm sure another audiophile knows exactly what I'm talking about.

If you are an audiophile and like the touchscreen you will not find a better solution than the one I gave you. I was not joking about the 5k in equipment. The best solution will cost an other 10k, maybe when I retire...... or learn to re-engineer electronics myself. Also there is an aux in and it is easy to use, but you are still stuck with the bass roll off. I did a whole post on it a long time ago.

Guest Mc_Reatta

There are two stereo aux inputs on the stock 80s radios, in addition to a mono input for a cell phone. The Tape player uses one of them.

There are two ways around the bass roll off. Both require additional outboard amplification. One involves internal modifications to the radio, the other an outboard signal processor.

Guest Mc_Reatta

You remove those troublesome 6 capacitors in the signal path (the ones that cause the crackle and pop) and pull the 4 preamp signals right out of the box. Then you connect them into an outboard 4 or five channel amp. Those capacitors act as a modest high pass filters that dampen the bass making its way to the power amp section.