1949 Buick Roadmaster woody wagon

Matt Harwood

I'm not prone to hyperbole (well, maybe a little) but this absolutely stunning 1949 Buick Roadmaster wagon made me weak in the knees. Formerly owned by Bob Turnquist (owner of Hibernia Auto Restorations) and still wearing his initials on the doors, it is simply spectacular in every possible way. Only 630 were built in 1949 and only a handful remain of this one-year-only design. Still wearing its original maple and mahogany woodwork, it has been restored to an exceptionally high standard and shows just 52,391 original miles. If there was ever a woody to own, this is it.

The Royal Maroon paint is nearly flawless, and yes, it's definitely over-restored, but the results are incredible. The doors open and close easily with no heavy slamming required as on many wood-bodied vehicles, and gaps are excellent throughout. Chrome is show quality with exactly zero issues anywhere except for some very, very minor polishing scratches on the taillight bezels, but the big stuff like the grille and bumpers are excellent. The owner reports that there is more than $40,000 worth of chrome work on the car, and I believe it. The wood, as I mentioned, is all original and shows no issues save for a split in one of the members on the driver's door, but it was likely there when they cut down the tree and is not a demerit in any way. There is no reproduction wood kit out there that can match the look of old-growth timbers on an original car, and this car is proof--it has a wonderful look with tight grain and fantastic color.

The interior is burgundy leather that shows some mild stretching from use, but no notable wear or damage. Gray carpets are a nice contrast and likely easy to clean and maintain. And those striped door panels are a wonderful detail. All the gauges are fully functional, and both the clock and radio are being repaired as I write this, so they will be completely operational by the time a new owner takes possession.

I personally drove this car, and the 320 cubic inch straight-8 starts quickly and drives beautifully, with the Dynaflow working as advertised. The engine bay is highly detailed, with correct colors, fittings, hardware, and decals throughout. There are a few modern fasteners here and there, but the overall presentation is extremely impressive. Road manners are impeccable, with strong braking, and a very smooth ride at speed. Underneath, the chassis is solid and completely rust-free; there's no evidence of patches or repairs, and this was undoubtedly a summer estate car, not a daily driver. Even the stainless steel exhaust system, which gives the car a healthy rumble, has been polished to a high shine.

2003 AACA National First Prize, and 2004 Grand National First Prize winner.

If you're a Buick fan, you know that 1949 is a special year, and few cars can compete with a Roadmaster woody wagon in terms of desirability. This is quite possibly the finest one in existence, with a known history and absolutely no excuses. Asking $129,900. Thank you for looking!

post-31138-143139060101_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139060103_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139060106_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139060108_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139060111_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139060113_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139060116_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139060119_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139060122_thumb.jpg

post-31138-143139060128_thumb.jpg

Matt,That sure is a beauty! although I enjoyed viewing your '29 Cadillac on the 10th, it sure would have been nice to have seen this one at the BOP IN Solon.I bet it would have given a certain someone who usually wears a cowboy hat a run for the money;) Any way good luck with the sale,Rich

Guest ewing

Matt, if you need a foster home for the 49, while you are searching for its new home, let me be the first to offer my garage.

That is a beautiful car.... too nice for a guy like me.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Cheers, John