3/4 ton DB parts list book

Hi everyone my name is Dave and I'm a Dodgeaholic :D (HI DAVE:rolleyes:!)

just trying to find info on a Dodge Brothers truck and trying to secure the correct year according to the frame. It's either a 1930, or 31 from all info we've found. The truck is a 3/4 ton Panel truck with the frame #D231751. No engine in the truck but we believe it to be either the DA 6 or Plymouth U 4. Trying to secure a title for the CA DMV

Does anyone have this book and if so can you please help locate the year the serial number falls under in this parts book and which engine would have been the more obvious motor installed?

See pic below:

Any help is appreciated

post-69994-143139052836_thumb.jpg

I will have a look see to see if I can offer anything, by the way you do realize at this point that the D designates it as a Detroit built truck Yes ?

It would be designated as a 1930 model assuming it is a 3/4 ton size, what made you come to the conclusion that it is 3/4 ton.

Too maybe answer the other questions I would need more data/pictures. I will work on what I would need and post it here.

There is no obvious answer, is there still a transmission, that would be a telltale. How about pictures of the firewall.

Current owner measured the wheelbase to 124". He has the tranny so let me know if this doesn't work and I can email him for pics of it?

Heres the door panel, dash, interior and engine compartment etc... let me know if you need more.

Thanks Jason

post-69994-143139052887_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143139052902_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143139052919_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143139052935_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143139052952_thumb.jpg

I will have a look see to see if I can offer anything, by the way you do realize at this point that the D designates it as a Detroit built truck Yes ?

I do now :rolleyes::D

What I have yet to figure out though is all the serial engine info and abbreviations such as DA, DB, U etc... I understand they are model designations but yet to understand what the letters stand for.

I had to re-fresh myself so bear with me.........according to servicebulletin dated Sept 3 1930 .........trucks prior to this approximate date used numerils preceding the serial number denoting the point of manufacture, ...........your serial number of D231751 indicates it was built prior to Sept 1930 but after Oct 1929 if that helps.

While they were using this alphanumeric digit prior to serial number there was no indication within the serial number that would indicate size of vehicle and powerplant used so as you have guess we can only go by W.B which as you have stated is 124 and I will confirm ( not that I doubt you ) that would be a 3/4 ton truck

Quote..........abbreviations such as DA, DB, U etc.........Dont look too far into this, as far as I know there is no certain answer to this or rhyme to reason as they say. DA was the first car introduced under Chrylser leadership ( but was actually under design before he took his place on the throne ) and so they used the D ( for Dodge ) and the A as the first alphanumeric digit.

That is what I have come across for an explanation and I have never looked any further into it.

Why a Chrysler 300????? What happened to Chrysler 299?? Hope you get my point.

By the way the U is a tell tale for the Plymouth engine, first models of Plymouth introduced in 1928 Carried the U in their model designation.

DB was a Senior Six model re-vamped for the 29-30 model years so hence you have DA then DB then DC ( which was Dodge first 8 cyl car ) and DD as well ( 6 cyl car )

DE was an export

DF taxicab and it goes on for some time like that until they really lost their minds and got crazy

Edited by 1930 (see edit history)

Ok, thanks for that VERY helpful info.

How about pics of the interior ? Does the book by chance show any pics of any 3/4 ton Panels with the same interior dash, door or cargo design ?

See cargo photos below. Note the blue one is a 1/2 ton 29 or 30 I found on the net (Beautiful truck!).

Also note the vertical ribs on the interior of the rear doors, I would think that would be a tell...

post-69994-143139053091_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143139053102_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143139053119_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143139053135_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143139053138_thumb.jpg

Current owner measured the wheelbase to 124". He has the tranny so let me know if this doesn't work and I can email him for pics of it?

Heres the door panel, dash, interior and engine compartment etc... let me know if you need more.

Thanks Jason

This helps, ( I would like more pictures some day for my own persoanl referances ) wheres George when you need him ( FarrelG ) vaccum tank for some reason makes me think Plymouth 4, didnt the 6 cyl by this time have the mechanical pump.

I will have to look into this and hopefully in the mean-time George will pop in and add to this.

Thats all for now. Thanks

How about pics of the interior ? Does the book by chance show any pics of any 3/4 ton Panels with the same interior dash, door or cargo design ?

See cargo photos below. Note the blue one is a 1/2 ton 29 or 30 I found on the net (Beautiful truck!).

Also note the vertical ribs on the interior of the rear doors, I would think that would be a tell...

Great pictures and thanks for them, yes I can help with some more of this, You will have to bear with me though and give me time, it is not just one book, I referance quite a few and it takes time to find the info but I am just as eager as you because I also learn things.

Do you have exterior shots of the truck, I would like to see all that you have, I am dying at this point to see more interior shots, the front seats are of great interest to me, I believe pass seat in not stationary, is that correct?

B.T.W that is a great shot of the floor, the floor and its steel ribbs was a constant selling point in later ( maybe earlier as well, cant remember ) D.B G.B sales literature. I would like to see more of it, front half I mean.

Don't know about the passenger seat. I always thought it was mounted maybe the current owner will pop in and help in regards to the tranny and passenger seat since he still has the truck. Still need to straigten out the title and get transported so I don't have anything to go off other than the photos of the truck he sent me.

Heres the rest of the pics:

post-69994-143139053174_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143139053189_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143139053202_thumb.jpg

post-69994-143139053219_thumb.jpg

One other note as well is nice view of the side wall, another proclaimed high selling point in D.B G.B literature was the variety of padding placed within its composite bodies side wall.

Dinner time, have to go now

Get me a picture of the ORIGINAL tranny ( more than one and specifically bellhousing view but tailshaft as well ) and I can tell you what was bolted to it

Wow that's great ! Thanks again for taking the time, I know it's alot of work but I really appreciate it. :D

Man, I'd love to find that book someday. You mind if I ask where you found it ?

Get me a picture of the ORIGINAL tranny ( more than one and specifically bellhousing view but tailshaft as well ) and I can tell you what was bolted to it

Wow that's great ! Thanks again for taking the time, I know it's alot of work but I really appreciate it. :D

Man, I'd love to find that book someday. You mind if I ask where you found it ?

Quote........... it is not just one book, I referance quite a few ..........the book you show above is nothing more than a parts book for that specific model and I cant remember where I got it but blow up the picture, type in the title, do a search and maybe also watch e-bay

One other note is the brake canister, I would have to confirm this but 31 model year trucks ( autos for sure ) used a master cylinder with integrated reservoir.

What are your plans for the truck, I am assuming by your signature your not going to destroy it by street-rodding it?

How about your avatar, I assume that is a 30 Chrsyler, what info can you share about that?

Photo of the Chrysler was a 1930 3 window business coupe with wood wheels no rumble seat that I purchased a few years back. I was offered a dollar amount that helped me use the funds to add onto my shop and prepare for my hobby. The car is in good hands from what I was told by the owner that bought it from me so don't be surprised to see it on the road again someday. Miss that car... Funny thing, every age group that seen that car fell in love with it, everyone from 4 years of age to 90 years of age. That to me, proves it was a true classic.

As for the Dodge Panel it's a family project so we have many eyes, ears and pockets on the subject as we speak trying to lock down information, parts, literature and the usual in order to properly restore her to her original beauty. The learning is the best part, but the search and the history is incredible and very addictive. I've always liked the 28-32 era just about any make but I really love this Dodge Panel the best and consider it just an honor for the opportunity and hope to patiently year after year restore it to all original. Pockets aren't deep though so it will take time and patience, alot of studying and alot of hard work (as the pics indicate ;)) but yeah, original is the only way for me.

I've owned several old and new cars over the years and kept them all original because I just don't think it's right to mess with perfection. Whether it's a 327 Impala, 68 3/4 Chevy Camper Special, 03 Dodge Ram with a Hemi or a 1930 Chrysler or 30 Panel. Just my opinion but I've never been much into rodding or chopping but I do realize the truck on topic will need some SERIOUS metal work from what I can tell. Been stocking up on tools and learning as much as I can for the last 5 years and feel I'm ready to tackle this because of my preparedness and desire, willingness to learn and take advice from others.

Just an old soul wanting to learn

By the way, our plans are not to sale it when complete. My Brother and I have come to an agreement that we will keep it in the family for years to come.

Edited by 30DodgePanel (see edit history)

Your going to find that the trucks can be VERY elusive regarding information still avail, in my experience you have to read alot and then come up with alot of assumptions going on what you have read.

Not alot of interest in trucks and I assume that it because of the rarity of them, they were used and abused until they couldnt be used any further so not alot of parts and information.

Specifics are going to be tough, just keep asking questions though and you will have your answers, if ever there is a question you ask here and I say Ill get back with you and I dont just ask again, dosent mean I dont know cause if I dont Ill tell you, just means I have other things on my mind.

Luckily we have forums though like this one where people can come together to share info.

Do be carefull on what you read though, there have been a few books written within the past 20 years or so that can be tricky concerning trucks, if you know the real story ( which you can gather by collecting original literature ) than you will see that for the most part they are not far off but just not quite there either though.

Your going to find that the trucks can be VERY elusive regarding information still avail, in my experience you have to read alot and then come up with alot of assumptions going on what you have read.

Not alot of interest in trucks and I assume that it because of the rarity of them, they were used and abused until they couldnt be used any further so not alot of parts and information.

Which is one of the reasons why I'm so interested in them ;). Seems all I've done for the last year is read, read, read and just trying to soak it all in enough to get to this point. I love it because there isn't a day goes by that some new relevant information is added and if I miss a day, well .....:(. I find the more I learn about others DB cars and trucks on this forum the more honored I feel to have the opportunity as I said since the trucks are so rare. I really don't care if the popularity isn't there more fun looking for parts and the whole experience than any cookie cutter can supply anyway. JMO

My brother and I are in it for the long haul and as I said, no desire to sale so a "quick flip" is forbidden as per our written and verbal agreement and we realize going in this will be one of the most challenging tasks we've ever taken on. I'm sure it will test our patience and endurance at times and I gave it some thought when I had the 30 Chrysler but my heart wasn't into the Chrysler so I decided to part ways and search for something I knew we'd all enjoy more. We'll be concentrating on as many details as possible from correct parts and engine series to the final color and tires and hopefully one day be able to drive her with pride. :cool:

When we do, this forum will be the first to know :D

Might be you already know this but getting in with the right bunch of people is key when tackling a resto, I have had other early makes in the past and ended up gettin rid of them because I felt that alot of guys that were within these clubs had a poor attitude, that gets to be discoraging after a while.

There is a D.B club if you are not aware that is defanitely worth joining if you have not already, lots of guys with different attitudes but alot of guys that would bend over backwards to help if given the chance as well so again its well worth the yearly dues.

Yes, no doubt that will be one of the first things to do. Have some of the contacts saved that others on the board have passed along to me and will get that ball moving forward next week, although I will pick and choose where I tie in at because I really want to be able to consolidate my efforts on these Panels exclusively if at all possible but I realize I may have to broaden my horizons/our horizons in order to maximize the information available from ALL avenues. I know that just listening to what others with experience and a deep love for these cars/trucks have to say will be key. Besides I really don't want to waste anyones time if they are more into roadsters and coupes for example. I love all of them but the Panel is in my blood. Always has been.

Thanks again for all the info and advice.

I have been following your thread with interest. May I say that I believe you have the right attitude and approach for taking on a challenging restoration. This is the place to come if you need assistance with things that you may be unsure about. I say this speaking from experience with my own D.B.; it can also be good fun!

Ray.

I'm confident in that as well Jason ;)

Ray, thanks that means alot to me.

Been reading a library rental recently called "The Official Book of the Antique Automobile Club of America" by Robert C. Lichty (yeah, the AACA history and Bible from what I can tell) and the minute I opened it up it was as if I was being told to have great respect from the onset, and also to have a great admiration and honor for those who started and who have continued the hobby to what it is today no matter what kind of classic it is or, from what country for that matter.

All car and truck makers throughout history have played a key and vital role in making this great hobby what has always been, both in the beginning, and even now. I've read many topics recently on these forums and seen the frustration from old timers and true collectors of some of the negatives that have occured in the recent years but I have to say, there is a new breed of young men and women who have a deep respect to see this passion continue for many reasons both individually and collectively, I for one believe or should I say hope to one day be part of this group with dignity and respect.

So, this Panel truck mission will surely be a good one and the fun has truely only just begun.

Honestly this is only the beginning. Out of this effort I know that we all learn, we all seek and search for fun and enjoyment out of life and this hobby has graciously allowed many to grab hold and enjoy the ride from what I have learned, I just want to be part of the fun now before it's too late.

If theres no 28-32's in heaven I'm gonna have a real problem...

Gee, I must be sleeping. Completely missed this post until today. I am no expert, really living though the same things. I have a 1930 1 Ton model U133 and a 1931 3/4 Ton Express pickup model U124. Both my trucks were Plymouth 4 cylinder silver dome engines. I can tell both my truck are D serial numbers and both engines are TU. I have a parts manual reprint that I bought a year or so ago. I will try to find the source for you. I have the original instruction books for my trucks. They are similar to today's owners manuals. However, they have much more repair info then today's owners manuals.

George, the thread was only created today so unless you took an all day Sunday nap (which should be prohibited on a Dodge Brothers forum by the way ;)) then you haven't missed much. I want to apologize in advance though because I know I have many questions for you and others who own trucks from this era and I know we can all learn a great deal from all of our searching collectively.

A few key points I'd like to know that have my curiousity already are: What is your windshield design IE brackets to open it with on the driver and passenger side pillars, windshield wiper mechanism, the spare tire mount setup - was it in the rear below the bed or on the sides? The logo's and emblems and locations etc... just to name a few but I'm sure that will all be covered in due time.

For now it seems like the more likely year and engine for this particular truck and most from this time frame is leaning towards being a 1930 with a Plymouth U from all indications. Again, I'll try to get some pics of the tranny to secure this possible proof asap.

according to servicebulletin dated Sept 3 1930 .........trucks prior to this approximate date used numerils preceding the serial number denoting the point of manufacture, ...........your serial number of D231751 indicates it was built prior to Sept 1930 but after Oct 1929 if that helps.

OK ! Now I can't sleep....

This statement has been bugging me since I've read it and was wondering if you could post a pic of this information when you get time? No rush, but I was wondering if you can scan a photo of this info somehow for us and allude to the publisher for documentation purposes? I just want to see if there is anything else that may lend a clue in order to securing a title in which this may be documentary proof.

Please show us the front cover, the page number and what the exact verbage is if you would. This time period it speaks of is VERY VERY crucial I believe. I thought I read somewhere that the cutoff date for Chrysler production models OR for the following years models was June or July ? So, prior to Sept 1930 but after Oct 1929 would obviously mean it's a 1930 which we agree on correct ??! I just wonder if a copy of that very documentation would be handy for the current owner to take to the CA DMV in order to secure a title since we don't have a motor for it yet? Or at least help the DMV along somehow ????... after all,,,, they do like their paperwork on the government level. Just thinking, if it's documentation from the manufacturer and showing the exact time frame for the serial number perameters, then why wouldn't they accept it or at least consider it ?

Please understand, I'm just searching anywhere and trying anything at this point. Thanks for any feedback and again, no rush. Gotta be up at 4 now :eek:. Good night

Dodge Brothers and the later Chrysler Corp issued service bulletins to its dealers to keep them informed of changes made with vehicles, company policy ect ect.

The parts manual that you show above in the picture ends at such and such serial numbers, ( if you blow it up you may be able to read the numbers ) your numbers are just after what it covers, the service bulletin is clearly dated on how new numbers were issued and I stated above the exact quote and since your serial number has the plant nomenclature it would fall below its issue date.

This is how I was able to determine your approxiamate production date.

If someone were to contact Chrysler historical you may be able to get a copy of the original build card which will tell you the original engine and all sorts of other info.

If you were to secure this than that would be prob. all you would need with DMV

Never tried to secure a truck build card though and dont know of anyone that has.

BTW it would help if you were to provide a measurement across the face of the tranny. Rear spare tire is carried under the area that occupies the space just below the rear doors, this set-up began in 25 or 26 if memory serves me.

Gee, I must be sleeping. Completely missed this post until today. I am no expert, really living though the same things. I have a 1930 1 Ton model U133 and a 1931 3/4 Ton Express pickup model U124. Both my trucks were Plymouth 4 cylinder silver dome engines. I can tell both my truck are D serial numbers and both engines are TU. I have a parts manual reprint that I bought a year or so ago. I will try to find the source for you. I have the original instruction books for my trucks. They are similar to today's owners manuals. However, they have much more repair info then today's owners manuals.

Hello George, how many digits in your 31 serial numbers, ever posted them here? Might be you are seeing a D when in fact it is an 8 ?

How did you arrive at the conclusion that your 31 is a 31. Service bulletins as mentioned above are issued directly from Chrysler Corp. Very strong guide on how things were done, possibly an error on your part as far as either coming up with year or seeing a digit that is not there?

Might be someone at one point changed to a later frame on your earlier body?

Here is a scan of a copy of that service bulletin, in my world this is the end all be all for information, it goes on to identify some numbers corresponding to later trucks built on or before Sept 1930

George I am curious to see and help you get to the bottom of this 31 D serial number issue.

post-48869-143139054137_thumb.jpg

Dave,

Here is the manual reprint I purchased. It is available several places, but got mine off Ebay for about $85.

Seller is Bishko Books Better Buys. It covers both my 30 and 31 trucks. As far as comfirmation of the year, I have some, but not exactly what I would call fool proof. For instance, both the U133 and U124 show in the serial number list at the approximate time. However, the serial number lists in the parts book show the U133 made for a series of years, and then show the serial number range for many models. So are we complete sure the 30 is a 30, Well, that is what all the original paper work registrations said. But I really do not have an exact build date for either of them.

The serial number on the 1930 U133 1 Ton is D229XXX. The serial on the 1931 U124 3/4 Ton is D235XXX.

I have included a page that was sent me early on that shows the serial number list that applies to my trucks. A bit of a funny story, the W.P. Chrysler Museum did some research for me. About all they had for both years was a picture and some advertisements. Originally, they told me the serial numbers I had were not trucks. However, since I had this sheet, I was able to show them where they were in the serial number guide.

Welcome to the truck club. I agree with what was said earlier, I think most of the trucks were beat so bad that there was not much left. My 1930 was actually and export vehicle to France. I got damage in shipment to the east coast and was auctioned. I am the second owner. Without the parts book, it was very difficult to know why some of the parts on my truck did not match with other 1930 models. However, there are special notes in the parts book indicating that there were different parts on the export models. Example being the steel wheels on the U133. Only available on the export, left hand drive models.

Let me know if there are things I can help with. I am by no means an expert, but understand how hard some things are to track down. Both my trucks are in restoration phase. The 1931 is being assembled and the 1930 is being torn down. We suspended the tear down as we needed to see how some things were done for the assembly of the 1931. Moral of the story, take lots of pictures. I 3 years of shows, I have never seen another one exactly like mine. Enjoy.

post-69599-143139054267_thumb.jpg