Photos from 1950 of the Charleston, W. Va. "West Side" area.

Shop Rat

Guest Oldengineer

Shop Rat: Your photos bring back a lot of memories. My dad moved us to Marmet in 50 when I was 4 years old. I used to love it when we went to Bob Phillips for curb service, or, the old Kings Resturant downtown. I remember the old drive-in movie as well. I got pulled over by a State Trooper one night heading there one night in my 37 Dodge Coupe. I had a trunk full of guys I was going to smuggle in the drive in movie, and, the trooper spotted their feet hanging out from under my truck lid while I was headed there. Luckily, all I got was a lecture.

Regards:

Oldengineer

brings back alot of memories,i was raised in morgantown and had relatives in charleston,moved away to michigan when i was about 6 years old 1956,still remember going back about 3 or 4 times a year to visit my grand parents and uncles,those where great times that i really miss i wish i could have raised my family there,i dont suppose its still the same but it seems like those where simpler times you knew youre neighbors, in calif you dont really have that down home feeling,everyone is scrambling just to try and make it,hopefully ill be able to get back in the next couple of years and see,all the relatives i believe are gone now maybe a cousin or 2, i guess thats what country living is about, just dave

The photos each have a number of 1959 model year cars in them, and the last photo has a 1960 Thunderbird in it. I think there's a typo in the title.

I love the curb service drive-in serving KFC!:cool:

It is certainly possible that someone hit the 0 by mistake when they put the photos in.

Bill Painter's Drive-in was a landmark here for many years.

Shop Rat: Your photos bring back a lot of memories. My dad moved us to Marmet in 50 when I was 4 years old. I used to love it when we went to Bob Phillips for curb service, or, the old Kings Resturant downtown. I remember the old drive-in movie as well. I got pulled over by a State Trooper one night heading there one night in my 37 Dodge Coupe. I had a trunk full of guys I was going to smuggle in the drive in movie, and, the trooper spotted their feet hanging out from under my truck lid while I was headed there. Luckily, all I got was a lecture.

Regards:

Oldengineer

My mom, dad and my two older brothers lived in Marmet for a period of time also. Then they moved to Grant Street over in Charleston. Many of the houses and buildings are still in the areas where the photos were taken. And there were a number of drive-in movies here. None are still open.

I think what Dave thinks is a '60 T-Bird looks to me like a '58 Skyliner.

If you look carefully at the side visible you can see distinctly the 3 sets of hash marks at the rear of the car, and there is no other side trim visible (which a 1958 Skyliner would have in abundance).

Guest Oldengineer

Shop Rat:

The drive - in I was talking about was the one in Kanawha City. If your family did any business with Marmet Pharmacy - my Dad owned it, and, I've probably fixed them a Cherry Pepsi along the way. We lived on Maryland Ave. in Marmet until 1964.

Regards:

Oldengineer