New Top Saddles for Dodges

Pete K.

Well, I've gone ahead and done it! This thread is not a complete, headline news story, YET. As most may know, I have 1925 Dodge touring car, with no top saddle hardware. Many owners are missing these too. I plan to lower the top in nice weather! Some never do. I now have a mock-up prototype saddle stud that will fit both sides of the body. It is secured by one 1/4"x 20 NC hex head screw and washer on the inside of body. It is keyed to lock into the body socket, made at an angle, since the body socket is almost at a 45 degree angle, rearward, to the side of the car. The protruding end will accept a black iron saddle with a set screw, leather liner, with black leather belt straps, as Ford used in the mid twenties. Overall length of the new studs is 5-1/2". I KNOW... these are NOT what the originals looked like-- BUT they'll WORK. My prints are done for the parts, I'm in contact with a local machine shop to do the job. I have no idea what it will cost me yet. The first set will be extensively tested. If ANY of you feel you may want a set, LET ME KNOW! The shop will make up sets of them while they are in progress making mine---I'm not going to get rich selling these---Just want to break even and help some of us out. But be patient, it may take a while. Best to all, Pete.

Well, I've gone ahead and done it! This thread is not a complete, headline news story, YET. As most may know, I have 1925 Dodge touring car, with no top saddle hardware. Many owners are missing these too. I plan to lower the top in nice weather! Some never do. I now have a mock-up prototype saddle stud that will fit both sides of the body. It is secured by one 1/4"x 20 NC hex head screw and washer on the inside of body. It is keyed to lock into the body socket, made at an angle, since the body socket is almost at a 45 degree angle, rearward, to the side of the car. The protruding end will accept a black iron saddle with a set screw, leather liner, with black leather belt straps, as Ford used in the mid twenties. Overall length of the new studs is 5-1/2". I KNOW... these are NOT what the originals looked like-- BUT they'll WORK. My prints are done for the parts, I'm in contact with a local machine shop to do the job. I have no idea what it will cost me yet. The first set will be extensively tested. If ANY of you feel you may want a set, LET ME KNOW! The shop will make up sets of them while they are in progress making mine---I'm not going to get rich selling these---Just want to break even and help some of us out. But be patient, it may take a while. Best to all, Pete.

Of coarse we require pics of said items when possible....

:)

Here's a few pictures of the arm, showing the "keyed" end and two views of the arm in the body sockets on left and right side of car. I'm waiting on the saddle parts, on order. The saddle parts I'm referring to cost about $34.00 for iron saddles and leather belts. The main top bow, when folded down, measures 3-1/4" to 3-1/2" to the center of the saddle from body socket. The saddle will be adjustable on the arm. The leather strap will be fed through the bows and fastened with a nickel plated buckle. I want the arms to be made from steel, using a CNC machine, since they will need to be strong. The arms will be easily installed or removed from car, perhaps easier than the originals, since no wedges are used to fumble with, get lost or strip out.

In my original '25 Dodge, there is a pair of notches in the outer end of the 3/4" diameter body socket tube at the 12 and 6 o'clock position. The notches are 7/16" wide X 1/8" deep, approximately. I don't see by the photo of the Myer's arm, posted above, how it locks into the body socket. The tapered part in the middle seems to be reversed, and where are the "key" sections that would fit into the body socket notches? This locks the arm in place so as the whole saddle assembly doesn't turn. I'm assuming the saddle casting, or rather forging, has the proper angle built in, since the body socket holes are about at a 45 degree angle towards the rear, and the Myers arm is straight.

Edited by Pete K. (see edit history)

Can anyone who owns an early Dodge Brothers "open car" PLEASE tell me if your touring or roadster has the 3/4" body socket holes with the two notches I described in the above post?? They are angled towards the rear, about 45 degrees angle to the side plane of cars' body. If you think you may want a set of my new brackets in the future, now is the time to tell me, since I won't be remaking them after the first run.