Another Newbie!!!

Guest NGABronco

Guest NGABronco

Hey folks, I've been in another "old rig" world (Early Broncos) for the past 11-12 years, but back in December I purchased a 57' Olds project and last month I purchased another one for parts. Been crusin' the net for info and this seems like a great site. I'm gonna need a lot of help!!!!:D:D

Guest NGABronco

Thanks Tex!! I'm on the fence about how to go with this rig?? It's a 2 dr. sedan, which I've been lead to believe is a low production unit, making parts hard to come by. I've rounded up about everything but the side molding. The parts rig I picked up is a 4 dr. but I got alot of small parts off of it. I've looked at sites you suggested and there's a local chapter here (Dixie Olds Club). I haven't joined any yet, I know some of them and I've got feelers out on the trim I need. I may have to do more of a hot rod/rat rod kind of thing, if I can't get the resto parts and I know that doesn't set well with a lot of folks!!!!

Those are some sweet looking rides you have!!!!!

I'm no expert but I'd be surprised if a 2 door sedan was low production in 57. The problem with any mid fifties car today that isn't a Ford or Chevy is that most of the parts are hard to find, but not impossible, take your time. Try to keep it stock if you can, you really don't want to mention Hot rod or Rat Rod on this forum.

Guest NGABronco
Try to keep it stock if you can, you really don't want to mention Hot rod or Rat Rod on this forum.

HaHa!! Yes sir, I understand!! I'll put my flane suit on and I got real thick skin, if it comes to that!!! Don't want to ruffle any feathers!!! From what I have gathered, they didn't make a lot of the 2 dr. sedans in 57'. It maybe like the 55', 57' Chebys, everybody saved the 2dr HT, cause they were top of the line??? The other downside to this resto is the paint code "62-62-10", that's "Sunset Glow", top & botom w/black trim!! In modern day it would be called

"Mary Kay Pink"!!!! I own a Purple & Silver Bronco, but I'm not sure about a pink Oldsmobile!!!:D:D:D

Thanks for the advice!!!:cool::cool:

Guest Bob Call

When they were new 57 Olds were very popular and pink was a top seller. 4 door post were probably the greatest number followed by 2 door post. 2 door Holiday (hard top), 4 door Holiday, convertible and station wagons were low production numbers. Collectors want convertilbes and 2 door Holidays making them more valuable. Nothing wrong with the 2 door post as the looks are a good as the Holiday.

1957 was the apex of pink and black in fashion, clothes and cars. I remember wearing pink shirts with mandarian collars and black pegged chinos, and 1/2 wide suede belts. Check this tribute to those times by rockabilly great Narvel Felts.

NGAbronco, here's some production numbers for 1957 Olds models. 2-Door sedans were scarce. 88 Series: 2-door post--18,477, 4-door post--53,923, 2-door hardtop--49,187, 4-door hardtop--3,830, convertible--6,423. Super 88: 2-door post--4,002, 4-door post--42,696, 2-door hardtop--31,155, 4-door hardtop--39,162, conv.--7,128. 98 Series: hardtop coupe--17,791, hardtop sedan--32,099, 4-door post sedan--21,525, conv.--8,278. There were no post 2-door sedans in the 98 series. Incidentally, I think the 98 convertible is one of the prettiest Oldsmobile models ever built.

Guest NGABronco

Hey Bob Call, don't worry, if it gets resto'ed, it'll be "Sunset Glow"!!!! I remember 57' and the fads!!!! Narvel sang "Funny how time slips away" too!!!

billybird, thanks, for some reason I think I may run aground before she blows!!!!

John2, thanks for those numbers, I had found some that are similar and it would appear not many 2 dr. sedans were made (comparitively speaking).

Seems like most of the promo stuff I find talks about the "371- J2" engine, but I would think there was another option??? Also I haven't found much on the different badging of 88 vs Super 88 vs Rocket 88???

Any help is appreciated!!:D

J2 was three 2-barrel carbs with a hotter cam. There was another J2 with solid lifters that can be ID'd by dimples for pushrod clearance in the valve covers. 4-barrel carb was standard on all 1957 series. 4-barrel 88s had single exhaust, Super 88 and Ninety Eights had dual exhaust. All J2 were duals. Believe it or not rear bumpers are different between single and dual exhaust cars.

371's had some issues early on with blowby and soft cams, but they were hot engines for their day. The 4-speed Jetaway HydraMatic is also a tough customer, so no real reason to consider a drivetrain swap.

Easiest way to tell the series is by the VIN and body plate. An 88 VIN starts 577, a Super 88 is 578 and a Ninety Eight is 579. On the body plate 57-3611 indicates an 88 2-door sedan, a Super 88 will be 57-3611D.

You might be surprised how good that car can look in its original "pank", whether it's modded or stock. Hey- would ya rather be a cookie cutter color and blend in with the tons of red/white/black/blue 57 Chevys?

Besides, look how sharp Don's Linken looks in its very similar "pank".

I like HOT ROD'S, contrary to SOME, believe it or NOT, us HOT ROD guys/gals are human's tooooooo!

Some of the NICEST, DOWN TO EARTH, & SMARTEST folks I have met are HOT RODDER'S. I guess Shelby wasn't accepted in some folks world, HEY, that's ok, each to his/her own.

Dale in Indy

Guest NGABronco

Hey rocketraider, thanks for the lead, I put a call in to him!!

Thanks for the Vin info also, the project I have is a 577 with a 57-3611!!!

88, 2dr sedan!!

My parts rig is a 578 with 57-3669D, a Super 88, 4 dr. sedan, it had a 371 engine, but not the 3/2s.

You mentioned the different rear bumpers. My 4dr Super 88 had the dual exhaust going thru it. What kind of exhaust would the 88 have had???

The fat lady ain't sung yet, so don't give up on it being "pank"!!!!:D:D

Guest NGABronco
I like HOT ROD'S, contrary to SOME, believe it or NOT, us HOT ROD guys/gals are human's tooooooo!

Some of the NICEST, DOWN TO EARTH, & SMARTEST folks I have met are HOT RODDER'S. I guess Shelby wasn't accepted in some folks world, HEY, that's ok, each to his/her own.

Dale in Indy

Hey Dale, cars are like redheads, blondes and brunettes, I like'em all!!!!!:D:D:D

Dual exhaust bumpers had a vertical grille in the outer ends that the pipe routed into. Consequently a lot of those bumper ends are rotted out from exhaust fumes. Single exhaust cars had solid outer bumper ends and the tailpipe exited below the bumper. I've seen a lot of RH single exhaust ends rotted up from exhaust fumes too.

Guest bkazmer

weren't the exhaust ports in the Su88/98 bumpers "fake"? The ones I've seen have a backing plate and the pipe exits below. All flavors of the tips rot from water trap from what I've seen.

The tailights differ - the 88 lenses do not have the three branched star.

the panel below the tailights is painted on 88's and stainless on upper series.