Dual quads. Worth it?

Guest hahnster

Guest hahnster

I have a 65 riviera with a 401. I am considering the dual quad setup. Is it worth it in terms of added performance?

OK Hahnster: Just me of course. I would never buy another hot tub and I would never go out of my way to put dual quads on a Nailhead. If you want it to run better (assuming it has good even compression) give it a good tune up and call it a day. Now, if you want to make mud pies and like that kind of thing then, by all means go through all the hoops of fire to find a D-Q set up, install it on your car and then, have fun doing what ever it is that you enjoy.

I say this from experience. I've done it a few times when my ego carried more weight than my common sense. It really was impossible to tell on either car because of several things. Both motors (425's) had been rebuilt .30 over and had great compression with new rings and a fresh valve job and I couldn't even tell from the other Rivieras I had previously owned that ran sweet.

So, to recap, no, no, and no. I am not the only one here who might have done this so it will be interesting to hear what others say.. Mitch.

I have a Riviera buddy in Colorado who has twin '66 Riviera GS's. One has the dealer installed 2x4 set up, the other has the factory Q-jet. Otherwise both cars are identical except for color. He claims the 2x4 car runs the quarter mile with a faster mph than the Q-jet car, but the Q-kjet car is quicker. Racing them side by side, he says the Q-jet car wins hands down, but the 2x4 car is gaining fast. He thinks on an all out top end run or a half mile drag race (which he's never done) the 2x4 car would probably be faster. But that's illegal.

Ask yourself what you're after. Eye candy, performance, or you just have so much money to burn you can't think of anything else to spend it on. Remember, there's a whole lot more to a 2x4 package than a manifold and a couple of carbs.

Ed

Guest hahnster

Thanks guys. That is really sage advice and you have saved me over $1,000 in unnecessary expense, not to mention more gas money. I really appreciate the honesty. I am done considering this option. This is a great forum, lots of very knowledgeable people willing to share their experience with us newbies.

Guest sharkeymark

Only worth it if you go through several expensive mods to the nailhead and exhaust to be able to use the additional 400 cfm. Have to get them to breathe. The theory with the dual quad was not to really supply more fuel but to reduce the restriction getting the air fuel mix in. Getting it out of the engine is the second and real challenging part of the equation. There is a 10.3 second 1/4 mile 2x4 425 66 Buick GS in Houston so it can be done. Not worth the $$$ unless you Love the mystique of dual quads.

Guest REX STALLION

If my car came with quads , they would be a must keep. I don`t think I would go chasing 20hp . 340 suits me just fine. cheers,Scott

like rex said my 63 came with 2x4s-its a cruiser so ill keep because there a nice conversation piece when you crack the hood.takes alot of babyboomers back to the 50s-60s.ive got a 64 with the settup that im going to change back to single 4 it being a dayly driver&a kw car.

The other consideration is gas mileage.

Being the new owner of a 65 with 401 engine and dual quads I was suprised to see I only get 7-10 miles per gallon.

Now I realize the dual Quads need re-building, but I was shocked by what it costs me weekly to fill the tank.

What kind of mileage do other people get on their Riv's?