Valve Cover Grommet

kdml

Anyone know of a source for a valve cover grommet for the breather for the stamped steel covers on on '65 401 (see picture)? The hole in the valve cover appears to be 1 5/16" and the breather is about 1". I tried by local auto parts stores with no luck. Cars Inc had grommets, but listed them as for a 1" valve cover hole

Thanks

Doug

post-64567-143138963509_thumb.jpg

Guest Kingoftheroad
Mr. Gasket makes the push-in breathers, check with someone like JEG's or Summit Racing to see what they offer. Someone help me here. I thought only the '66 cover had that hole in at the front of the cover.

Ed

No, my 64 has that hole in the front too, its got a rubber plug covering it. Plus, another hole further back where the breather sticks out...

I looked at TA Performance and the only grommet they had for that size hole was a plug, so I could not use the breather.

I looked at Jegs and Summit and they did not have anything in that size either.

My '65 shop manual shows this as the original setup. A hose connects to the breather and runs up to the air cleaner. I also have a hole further back on the cover for the oil fill

I will give Cars Inc a call to double check the sizes

Thanks

It is originally a California car and the filler cap I have also doubles as a breather. I suppose I could plug the valve cover and the eliminate the hose up to the air cleaner, as I probably don't need 2 breathers on the one valve cover

Clark's Corvair sells reproduction finned aluminum valve covers that have the large breather like you have in yours. In their catalog, they state that the valve cover comes with the breather grommet. Perhaps you could get one from them or get a lead from them on where to get one.

Ed

Thanks Ed

I have convinced myself that I should just plug the hole as I already have the filler/breather. Also, the hose up to the air cleaner is broken and would need replacement as well, so plugging the hole eliminates that expense

If I change my mind, I will give Clarks a call