41 SSE Ignition Timing

Guest Tim Romans

Guest Tim Romans

Hey gang,

I've made it out to a couple of real close by events (within a couple of miles) and noticed that my ignition timing was off. I tried to set it right "by ear" and just made it worse. I bought an Actron timing light (that you can use on 12v or 6v supposedly) hooked it up to the battery in my Tundra, placed the inductive clamp on the Buick's #1 plug wire per the instructions and it didn't even work.

Any good leads on a more 6v friendly timing light or how I can more smartly go about getting the timing straightened out?

I hate to admit, I'm kind of a noob when it comes to messing with timing, etc.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Tim

Guest Grant Magrath

Any timing light will work if you power it off a 12v battery. I like the dial back timing lights myself. Very easy to use.

Cheers

Grant

Guest macmic87

do you mean that there was no light flashing when running when you say it did not work at all? just for giggles turn the induction clamp upside down and try again.

It will not be original but did you consider a Pertronix electronic ignition? I have been happily running my 41 on one for 3 trouble free years.

Guest Mike Hanning

A very accurate method is to static time the ignition by using a 6v test light or multi-meter to determine exactly when the points open. Line up the timing marks on the flywheel and connect one lead of your test light to a live positive source and the other lead to the low tension terminal on the side of the distributer. If the points are closed the test light will illuminate and when the points are open the light will go out, therefore the moment the light goes out lock up the distributer and recheck to make sure you still have this exact moment retained.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Mike Hanning NZ

Try running a ground wire from the Tundra to the Buick and then give the timing light another try. Perhaps the induction pickup is not getting enough kick from the spark plug wire. I have a timing light that was built for 12 volts but works on 6 volts although at reduced brilliance. What I have done is to connect a 6 volt lantern dry cell in series with car 6 volt battery. Hook the positive of the car battery to the negative of the lantern battery and hook the positive lead on the timing light to the positive post on the lantern battery. Hook the negative timing light lead to the car battery negative post.

Joe , BCA 33493

The easy way that I use my 12 volt timing light on my 6 volt car is to just hook the timing light to an extra 12 volt battery that I have in the garage. Works fine. The timing light does not need to be attached to the car electrical system other than the inductive pick up.

Guest Grant Magrath

That's what we do Larry. I do that with the Stingray as well, since the battery's behind the seats.

Cheers

Grant