Sticky fluid on the carpet, help on diagnosis?

Guest Lasse

Guest Lasse

I was starting to question my sanity, when I found wet carpets AGAIN after re-sealing the windows on my -63. Then it popped into mind that can it be something else? Can it be coolant fluid? It´s wetter in the passenger side, but both sides have some moisture.

Heater core? I don´t need the heater as it´s a pure summer car so can I bypass it somehow? What should I do and any ideas what the leak can be?

Thanks!

Hi Lasse,

I will assume you are finding this in the front of the vehicle, rather than the rear. If so, yeah its pretty much a forgone conclusion that the heater core is leaking. Other than A/C lines, there aren't any other fluids that would normally come into the cabin. I believe there are heater bypass products available from various vendors you can use.

Also, my carpet never seemed to dry. I pulled it out to let dry for several weeks but it is still wet to the touch. I ended replacing the carpet and heater core at the same time.

Guest Lasse

Yeah, forgot to mention that we are indeed talking about the front of the car! Can it leak to the both sides or just the passenger side?

Been there with the carpet, seems impossible to get dry...

You can do one of two things. 1) Put a manual shut off in the hose that carries coolant TO the heater core. Pictured below (sorry about the size.)

Or 2) Make a loop with the heater hose so the water leaves water pump and returns to the thermostat housing. Either way you're keeping water from getting to the heater core.

38577_3004W.jpg

As the heater core in a 63 is in the middle right above the transmission tunnel, wet on both sides is probable. Looping the heater hoses is a quick solution. remove both hoses from the heater and loop them from the two ends from the motor with a single hose. No coolant to the core to leak that way.