85 Riviera air suspension system questions

Guest Ron King

Guest Ron King

Issue: my suspension system has been draining my battery. As of 2 weeks ago my suspension failed; i.e. all the air disapated and the system did not activate.

The problem seems to be in the sensor as well as a possible air leak.

I have obtained the manual pages for this system but am at a loss for any one knowlegable in this system.

I have also been informed that parts can no longer be ordered'

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Ron King

Hi Ron did you have your GM guy look at the section on the manual I emailed you? Was he able to wire the compressor directly to the battery and make it come on? Anyone find the leak in the system yet by using soapy water? Thanks and let me know what you find and we can go from there. First you have to find the air leak if you can get the compressor going.

Guest Ron King
Hi Ron did you have your GM guy look at the section on the manual I emailed you? Was he able to wire the compressor directly to the battery and make it come on? Anyone find the leak in the system yet by using soapy water? Thanks and let me know what you find and we can go from there. First you have to find the air leak if you can get the compressor going.

My GM guy read through the pages you sent me. He disconnected all the wires and ran a lead jumper wire to the motor to the positive side of the battery to raise up the car. This worked. All fuses are functioning. Checked for leaks and could detect none. I brought the car back to my garage and aftefr three days everything was flat. At this time we know the sensor in not working and I do not know where to find one. My guy said it is no longer carried in the GM parts list. Can this part be disassembled, cleaned and rebuilt?

No it can not be disassembled. It is a solid state part. These are the rarest part to go out. Get hold of a salvage yard hotline and get a height sensor for any E-body car for 79-85, but try to stay with an 84/85 part if you can but don't turn down an 82 or 83 year model height sensor either. One other thing I thought of, did he check the relay on the convience center for the ELC? Do you ever see the green "car is leveling" light come on after it quits functioning?