1923-4-39 Resurrection (again)- Lots of Pictures!

DaveAspi

I purchased this 23-4-39 almost 6 years ago from the original family. With the greatest of intentions. Here it sits. Saturday, I received a random call from Dave Ebert another Pre-War BCA member inquiring about my car. We both own this rare Buick, and he was asking about my progress from years past. Well this lit a fire under me, and today I "unearthed" the beauty again! Not in bad shape for an 89 year old car! Original engine and trani in tact. Not running, but the engine does turn, lights and horn work too!

The resurrection has begun! Click on the links below (or copy and paste it) for some pictures taken today 04/30/12. I will do my best to do her justice and to get'r going. I will post updates and pictures as they happen.

How hard can it be...? hee hee :rolleyes:

Buick 23-4-39 The Resurrection | Facebook

Stuff found in the trunk:

23-4-39 Stuff found in the trunk | Facebook

post-49586-143138946053_thumb.jpg

post-49586-143138946081_thumb.jpg

post-49586-143138946106_thumb.jpg

post-49586-14313894613_thumb.jpg

post-49586-143138946154_thumb.jpg

Dave,

I am very glad to see the old girl will get some attention again. It has been awhile since I visited you to see your wonderful original Buick. I will be glad to help if I can arrange another visit during another business trip to San Diego. I hired a new Area Manager who lives near you, so it won't be long....

Was real hard to walk past it all covered in junk over the past years. Time to get it going. Now where the heck do I start? SEVERAL years ago the pan was dropped, the spark plugs were removed and the engine was "unstuck". It was found that the crank handle shaft was broken just inside the crank hole. You can see from the one of the pictures, I took the starter foot pedal out too- (it escapes as to why now). The radiator was removed and checked for leaks (all good), but now I'll need hoses. THAT gentleman is the extent of the restoration since 2006!

Do you recommend putting the oil pan back on 1st (I have the replacement gasket)?

I am a novice mechanic at BEST.

Leif you gave some great insight a few years back with your 23. Anymore would be appreciated.

Mark- well I'd be fool to turn down such a nice gesture. Let me know what I need to do to prepare for launch!

Dave,

Before I arrive to help, and before you put the pan back on, you should buy some PB Blaster penetrating oil and spray all the lower bearings & check for any excessively loose bearings before installing the pan and filling with engine oil. Squirt some into the plug holes, rocker assy, and anything else that moves when the engine starts.

The muffler appears to be in the trunk, and it will need to be reinstalled, or it's gonna get LOUD in your garage! Buy a new 6V battery and make sure you have a working charger just in case it doesn't start on the first few tries (We may actually need to tow it to make it start the first time). We should at least be able to turn over the engine to set the valves and check the timing.

Make sure you have a small funnel so we can pour fresh gasoline into the plug hole on top of the vacuum tank. Check & clean or replace the plugs (I use Autolite 3077 plugs because they are available in most autoparts stores). Don't mess with the points or coil until we can check for spark at the plugs. Check fluid levels in the tranny & rear end, and if you need to add fluids, use SAE 250 oil (not redily available but can be had from industrial lube suppliers).

My travel plans for San Diego just got changed today, so I will wait to hear from you before I book my next trip.

Dave ,was you ever able to remove the "front pan" and remove the broken crank skrew.I think that was the last we were taking about.If you couldn`t do it you have to remove the left and right 3/4"thick bolts on each side of the engine and put a jack under the engine and put the front of the engine a little bit higher so you can losen the "front pan".But before that you have to lock at the fuel line between the carb.and fuel pump,and also look at other parts that can be destoyed if you jack up the engine a little bit in front.

Leif in Sweden

leife.holmberg@telia.com

Leif- the broken crank pin is where I left it a few years back. I have never "started" the Buick, just rolled it to unfreeze the engine. I did take the floor foot starter apart for some reason- If I recall it did have tension when I took it apart. Any suggestions on how to put it back properly?

Dave.This`s how you can do,use 3 or 4 bults "or threaded rods" as in the first picture,do as in the second pickture,then press the stater pedal up as in the 3 picture then press the Starter sliding gear cover down to its possition.The play if it`s in right possition is about 1/2"on the starter pedal.(If you look inside you can see the "fork" on the Sliding gear cover shoud fit in the starter gears "guide".)

Remove one of the bults and put the original back one by one 3 bults.The last outer bult hole is for the timing rod bracket as in the picture.Hope this will help you.

(You can do this without those bults too if you have strong fingers.)

Leif in Sweden.

post-31268-143138949344_thumb.jpg

post-31268-143138949353_thumb.jpg

post-31268-143138949362_thumb.jpg

post-31268-143138949371_thumb.jpg

post-31268-143138949379_thumb.jpg

Starting with the radiator. Removed the old hoses- any suggestions on where to get period correct replacement hoses? Check out the picture of the scratched black paint on the radiator shell- is that a hint of nickle back there?

Will start the lubrication process this week end prior to putting the pan back on.

Check this link for 30 additional pictures:

23 Buick Radiator, wind wing & front bumper | Facebook

post-49586-143138949876_thumb.jpg

post-49586-143138949901_thumb.jpg

post-49586-143138949924_thumb.jpg