Model A Engine Numbers

nickg112

I have 4 Model As. Two of them have engine numbers that make sense to me but two do not. The two that are difficult to read are as follows. If I could not read a number, I put an "N" in the designated spot.

1929 Phaeton: AA22NN299

1928 Coupe: AA2965414

I did not think that engines have an "AA" code. My other two cars start with just one A.

The Phaeton really seems to be all original. It looks un-restored with one repaint.

I am not certain about the coupe.

Any ideas about the "AA" designation?

Nick, I might be wrong but I think that the "AA" denotes an early truck engine. Engines were stamped at time of assy.and the assembly included the transmission. These engines were probably assembled at the time they were using the multible disc clutch and the "AA"indicated a heavier clutch spring for heavy duty usage. This was before they used the 4 spd. tranny in the later '29-31 trucks. This doesn't mean that a truck engine could not find it's way to a car as Ford used up many leftover parts in production or they may have been changed long ago. There were always more engines produced than vehicles!

Actually Nick, there is no difference between truck engines and the ones used in car production. All Model A's used the same engine(there were slight changes throughout production though). The difference, early on ,was only in the transmission as trucks and cars with the mutiple disc clutch shared transmissions. Only the clutch plate spring was different,it was heavier in the trucks. Trucks with the multiple disc trans. were equipped with a dual high gearbox (a type of high and low range) for better gear reduction to pull heavier loads. Later in early '29 Ford switched to a single plate clutch which was used until the end of production. This ushered in the developement of the truck 4 spd.tranny. The 4 spd. was available as an option in the passenger car line and a very few were produced. I can't imagine why anyone would want one in a car as they were geared lower than the standard tranny. Probably for rough service applications. One thing about Model A's is probably no two are alike. Ford was more concerned about producing an afordable car in high quantities and not to concerned about making them all the same! I used to have a '28 roadster pickup that I sold in 2000. Man ,do I miss that thing!