1939 Buick Special top stream board molding

Dynaflash8

I have lost one top stream board molding for the 1939 Buick Series 46C I'm restoring. I have no idea where it could have gone but the restoration has been going on for six years. I had a spare streamboard set and I sold it to a man in Canada named Don Twa. I can't find an address on him, and am thinking maybe I sent him 5 moldings instead of four.

Also am wondering if anybody out there can help me out. I have been lucky enouh to hear from a man in California who believes he has one for a Century tucked away. I can make that work if he finds it. Of course it would be nice to find the shorter one for a Special.

Also, Danny, I think NEW1966 might be able to help me, but I don't have contact information for him anymore. I think he comes on this site, and he often buys 39 Buick stuff on eBay. I used to have his email, but my computer blew up and when I got this one I'd lost his email address.

Can anybody help me out? My email is Forever39s@yahoo.com

Earl Beauchamp BCA #55

Guest Grant Magrath

Hey Earl, what about that guy who makes them? The info was posted on here when we were looking for one, but we didn't need him in the end. He is only contactable by mail I think and only sells pairs. Hold the line and I'll see if I can track down the info!

Cheers

Grant

Guest Grant Magrath

Buick Restoration Services, P.O. Box 442, Perry, MI 48872, can supply beautiful and correct stainless-steel running board moldings for 1934 thru 1940 cars. They're near-perfect. Mail them a self-addressed stamped envelope, and you'll be glad you did. My advice: use stainless steel washers and nuts when you mount them on your running boards.

Cheers

Grant

I think Earl wants the small SS ribs that go the horizontal, not the side moulding

Buick Restoration Services is Jim Campbell and/or his son. Owns a perfect 1939-61 with very low mileage

Edited by 1939_buick
spelling (see edit history)

Danny, Thanks for the information. I've written to NEW1966. I've corresponded with him in the past. Grant, thanks for the address. Maybe Jim Campbell can help me. However, I have never heard that he made the streamboard molding parts. But, I'll contact him.

By the way guys, while scouring the garage rafters for this missing molding, I did find that I do have a complete steering column with the steering box at the bottom. I don't know if it's any good, or whether it is the early or the late style.

Best, Earl

Guest Grant Magrath

No worries Earl. Good luck with your search.

Great find! I think what we need to do is check the numbers on the different boxes to see if there's a difference between the two.

Cheers

Grant

As Grant post above from

The Largest Vintage Buick gallery on the web - PreWarBuick.com

Buick Restoration Services, P.O. Box 442, Perry, MI 48872, can supply beautiful and correct stainless-steel running board moldings for 1934 thru 1940 cars. They're near-perfect. Mail them a self-addressed stamped envelope, and you'll be glad you did. My advice: use stainless steel washers and nuts when you mount them on your running boards.

Try Dave Tacheny (he should give me a discount as I refer him so often) Area number is 763 now, not 612

The Largest Vintage Buick gallery on the web - PreWarBuick.com

The best man on planet Earth for late '30s Buick parts is Dave Tacheny. Believe it! Mail your want list to him at 11949 Oregon Ave. N., Champlin, MN 55316, or call 612-427-3460.
Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

Of course you're right Al but checking that could all get a bit too technical for your average bod. I was thinking more of something maybe stamped on the outside etc. Sort of like when they stamp the ratio of the diff on the crown wheel or put a metal tag on it.

Danny

Let me look in my parts books, but it's probably more like the serial number of the car. Usually the parts book says the first number and then "up to chassis # so and so" Then it shows the second part number and says "after chassis # so and so". For example my '39 convertible coupe has a one-piece front bumper brace that goes all the way across from one inside bumper brace to the other. I'd never seen one before. I went to the chasiss parts book and sure enough, it showed a change in May 1939 and my car was built in June or July. Terry Dunham told me the date, but I've misplaced it and forgot. My convertible coupe is one of the last ones built though, sometime in late June I think.

Allan, thanks for the tip on the "team member". I see that I did it wrong, so I'll go back to my profile and try to fix that.

I tried to get to Dave Tacheny about the molding.....he's the best alright.....but he was off to Indiana to find another parts car. I think he's supposed to be back tonight. But there is a "Providence". An AACA member in California saw my plea and has come to my rescue with a Century molding that I can make into a Special molding.

Well, now that I have a molding on the way next week, at least I don't feel crazy this morning. I honestly was so upset I couldn't hardly think of anything else. I did have one trick in my bag though. If worse had come to worse, I'd have taken one strip off of my convertible sedan, because it's been through the system years ago, but it was going to be hard to do.