instrument cluster .......

ptt

I replaced the instrument cluster in my '90 Convertible with a unit from a forum vendor and its worked flawlessly for a few months. But lately its been going dark but will come back on if I give the dash a whack above it. For a while it would come back on if I pushed in on it at theright/left ends of the screen but not anymore so I give the dash a whack:eek::eek:..... (just a moderate whack). Could this be a problem where the cluster plugs into the dash??? Any thoughts? Thanks.

Guest Mc_Reatta

That's where I'd start. Take IPC out, spray all connectors with some contact cleaner, and see what happens. Could be a bad connection elsewhere too like the underhood common ground points etc.

Guest Richard D

I agree with Mc_Reatta, My climate control display was doing the same thing, pulled it out and sprayed the connectors with contact cleaner. Problem went away, lots more pins in the IPC connectors.

I have heard where cleaning the contacts on the rear of the IPC will make them work again but these are pretty good contacts and usually are not susseptible to dirt affecting them.

Cleaning the ECC is a different deal as the ECC has mechanical contacts that are operated when you push the buttons but the IPC simply stays in its location.

The biggest problem with IPC especially the '90-91s is GM didn't do a very good job building them with long lasting components and as a result they will go bad more often than the '88-89 IPCs.

Because they are a used electronic part they might work for years and might go bad at any time.

I do have good ones available but because they are a used electronic part I can only guarantee them for 30 days.

Digital Dash Solutions rebuilds these units for $ 150 and I believe they guarantee their repairs for a year, but am not positive.