Teves Brake System on Ebay

Guest crazytrain2

Is this a good price? Is it worth the time and expense of removing one of these from a u-pick junkyard car?

I sell ABS units complete and parts and I have had many chances to buy these units from U Pull Its and never do. The only ones I will sell is ones that I can test before sending them out.

Because of the amount of work involved in replacing one of these units I don't want someone to go through all that effort and then find it has problems.

In another post someone suggested doing the tests but one test I always do and I don't believe it is mentioned elsewhere is I take the car out and drive it about 20MPH when no one is around and do a simulated panic stop. Very often there will be problems in the valve body that do not show up on other tests but a panic stop will tell you if the valve body is functioning correctly. If the car stops straight ahead without pulling to one side or the other and does not have a hard pedal during this test, then I feel the unit is good.

Some folks have wrecked their cars because of a hidden problem in the valve body.

This is why I will not buy one from a U Pull it or any other place unless the seller can assure me it works in all driving conditions.

These units were used on several different cars but in some cases, if you get one off a Cadillac for instance, you will have to change the rear mounting and the rod that connects to the brake pedal.

Edited by Jim (see edit history)

So none of the parts are cost effective to salvage? Are the units being manufactured anymore, or only remanufactured/refurbished. It seems a shame to just let them be crushed unless they are so plentiful that there are enough in the system for a remanufacture/refurbish process.

So none of the parts are cost effective to salvage? Are the units being manufactured anymore, or only remanufactured/refurbished. It seems a shame to just let them be crushed unless they are so plentiful that there are enough in the system for a remanufacture/refurbish process.

I believe Prior reman still rebuilds these units for about $ 650 You can google that name and should be able to find them.

If you do find a unit in the U Pull it it is a good idea to get the pump/motor, accumulator and pressure switch. They come off the master cylinder by cutting the hose from the reservoir, cut or disconnect the steel line, remove the connectors and then remove the one bolt that holds them to the side of the master cylinder.

Most likely the accumulator will be no good but the pump/motor and pressure switch are nice to have as spares.

Among my other cars I have a '65 GTO convertible 4 speed.

Jim

Guest Mc_Reatta

I would be grabbing the pressure switches, the pumps and the accumulator if it looks have been replaced. (Appears cleaner and or shinier then the rest of the unit.)

Don't pay very much for these as they are untested and expect a lot of the time they won't be useable.

If you get a short warranty period try to test them on your system so you can return them and get a refund. Otherwise just live with the loss until you can find some more.

Look up the brake system tests to see what to look for to check them out.

When and if driving with them in your car use due caution and anticipate a failure just in case until they prove themselves out.