Keyless entry problems

ojh

I did the search, but this is a little different.

Early in the day the keyless entry won't work. When later and warmer it works about 75% of the time.

If left unlocked at night and entered the next morning (keyless system not functioning) then driven a short distance the keyless system will work.

What do you guys think, time to rip up carpet etc and dig for grounds or is there a way to backfeed a ground into the circuit to verify a faulted ground splice.

Thanks oj

Guest Mc_Reatta
I did the search, but this is a little different.

Early in the day the keyless entry won't work. When later and warmer it works about 75% of the time.

If left unlocked at night and entered the next morning (keyless system not functioning) then driven a short distance the keyless system will work.

What do you guys think, time to rip up carpet etc and dig for grounds or is there a way to backfeed a ground into the circuit to verify a faulted ground splice.

Thanks oj

Do the locking/unlocking switches in the doors still work when this happens?

Are both the locking and unlocking functions of the remote affected or just one?

Sure sounds like a faulty splice could be the problem.

You mentioned keyless entry seems to correlate to internal temp inside the car. I want to share with you that HondAcuras have a main relay for the fuel pump that might be similar to your experience. I gave my parents a 93 Accord that would turn over but wouldnt start. As soon as the relay was replaced, it was good as new.

The circuit board on the RKE box might also be expanding/contracting depending upon the weather. Watch this video to see how you might have a weak solder joint.

Guest 89 Maui

oj -

These are good suggestions, but one other thing to check. Check the voltage of your battery, in the morning it should read 12 volts or higher. Some circuits require 12 volts or higher to perform correctly even though the starter does turn over the engine and the engine runs.

As you drive your car the alternater will charge your battery allowing the RKE to work properly.

Woody

Unlikely though it may be, there is the possibility of interference. Is the failure of the RKE always in the same location (geographically) in addition to being time dependent? I only ask because apparently some military (naval) gear operates close to the 319 Mhz of the RKE system of these cars. Some years ago on the east coast, there was an incident where a bunch of 93-95 Cadillacs (using this same system) were having all manner of strange problems with RKE and security systems for a couple of days. Turned out that there were off shore training exercises underway and this effected the ability of the RKE receivers to operate correctly. I used to have a link to a story about this, but was lost in a computer rebuild some time ago. Also, I'd imagine that link has probably long since expired.

If near an industrial area or an airfield, there is a [very] remote possibility of interference from those as well.

KDirk

• 2 months later...

The problems with the keyless entry seem to be caused by the households' security system. He would park the car in the front of the garage doors and there are 2 different types of security detection devices trained on that spot. If he goes to his home security computer and deactivates either of those devices the keyless entry works. His Regal has some of the same problems when it is parked in that spot.

I thought you guys might find this interesting.