Title History

Guest Noah Ryan

Guest Noah Ryan

Hello All!:)

New to AAC

I have a 1971 Pontiac Lemans that I bought back in 1987.

The used car dealer I bought it from said it was driven up from a southern state. By the looks of it that's true but I would love to see for sure where it spent its first years.

I recently applied for a title but the woman did not know if that's even possible.

Thanks for any info or direction on this matter.

Welcome to the forum. Title laws very from state to state and are getting more difficult every day. Check out the SEMA information at the top of this forum page. If you have all the paper work from the dealer in 1987, it may be possible but not easy if you did not transfer the title at that time. What state are you in?

Guest Noah Ryan

I'm from NH.

No paper work except for a bill of sale which isn't very formal looking.

And the Used car lot is gone now.

Hoping the Title shows up soon.

I will check out SEMA.

Thanks.

Bob, that was such an interesting statement that I had to research Connecticut, and the DMV states that "The acquisition of a certificate of title for any vehicle manufactured prior to 1981 shall not be required. The commissioner, in his discretion, may issue such certificate of title for such a vehicle."

They're a "big deal" in most other states, because you can't obtain legal license plates through a registration unless you first have a title. In other words, you can't legally drive a car without a title and registration. Also, in the case of sold, inherited, or other issues, I'd sure rather have a title in hand that is clear on ownership. I agree they're a pain in the arse on early cars that were never titled in the first place.