Help 1910 No Go

1910Hupp

Right Gents I need your help . Yesterday I took the Hup for a 10 mile run to family Seemed to run ok . Stoped and had afternoon tea for an hour and then unable to start the car . Seems to have spark as evidenced by a belt off the plugs and visable spark with spark plug out and resting on head . Adequate fuel supply (and won't fire even when I fill the priming cups with gas) and compression (as judged by cranking) All the valves move and it appears to be timed ok. The only thing I can think of as I did oil the mag a week or so ago and I wonder if the heat has caused the oil to run and Insulate some parts of the magneto resulting in a weak spark. Mag condensor I guess is another possibility . I would appreciate your advice as I'm getting rather tired of cranking it over trying to get it to go -Karl

Sounds like a weak mag or bad magneto condensor, or the point gap somehow changed. Even a weak mag will make a spark at the wire or at the plug base with the plug removed, but the spark might not be strong enough to fire under compression. The condensor is typically wound within the magneto's armature windings on most of the commonly found US magnetos (Bosch DU4, etc). Could it also be that you have a lot of oil up inside the spark plugs? For kicks, I would try to install another set of plugs and see what happens. If it doesn't help, I would think that the source is the magneto since you seem to have eliminated all the other problems. Good luck!

Thanks - ,I'll try some plugs and see how we go. The Plugs don't look oiled up but I guess is a possibility . I fiqured it was the mag but I'm just trying to find another cause thats easier to fix. I've never had the mag (DU4) of the Hup and I'm just a bit concerned about re-installing it correctly (ie timing it) -There is a section in the owners book that tells you how to do it but still a little unclear to me -However I guess I'm just going to have to give it a go ! -Karl

Guest Bill Miller

For what it's worth, I had a similar problem some time ago with my 1915 Dodge Brothers. I could drive the car for a bit and then it would stop and I couldn't restart it for 5 or 6 hours. If I drove it around without it stopping on me and I turned it off, once I tried to restart it, she would not fire. I removed the magneto and sent it to a rebuider Mainely Magnetos in Maine where Steve Belanger rewound the thing and rebuilt the condenser. I also decided to replace the plug wires (make sure you are using something like 9mm wires with real copper inside rather than newer materials). Once I reinstalled the mag and timed it the car has run fine ever since. Good luck.

Bill

Timing a magneto on the Hupp is pretty simple and painless, except when you grab a handful of the front of a newly rebuilt Bosch DU4 with one hand, and spin the gear with the other to line it up! Ouch.....

A hot magneto makes a world of difference. Mine was hard to start when I got it, then had the mag rebuilt and it starts like a champ......

Good luck!

Useful advice Thanks - I think condensor is high on my suspect list .

I have the mag off the car now . Getting the magneto drive off the old magneto is somewhat challanging currently. Its keyed but stuck on really well. A work in progress! I also notice that the gear on the camshaft looks quite chewed in a couple of teeth (It looks like at some stage a grub screw has got caught in there) . I have a replacement gear but won't replace it this trip. Am I correct in assuming that replacement would involve removal and replacement of the camshaft bearings? Karl

Success !! The magneto has been changed and once more the car is running nicely. Interestingly my spare magneto has advance and retard on it Certainly idles better on retard and more pick up and go when advanced than previously on the fixed ignition .

I have sent the old magneto off to be rebuilt . Interestingly the rebuilder doubts it will be the condensor as he says they are "bullet proof" on the DU4 . He suspects the windings but will check it out before doing anything

Thanks for all the input -Karl