1938 Wiper spline nut

Guest locoincolo

Guest locoincolo

I'm apparently missing some sort of small splined/nutted doodad that attaches to the wiper cover at the cowl, and allows me to fit the base of a wiper blade to it. Or I don't have the correct type of wiper arm. Keep in mind that I'm just pulling these parts out of boxes to reassemble, and it's not always clear to me what I'm looking at.

Here's a picture of my pile of parts. I understand how the chains and the arms attach, and how the rubber gasket fits under the wiper cover at the cowl. But I'm missing something to get the wiper arm attached. Also, any preferred sealant at the cowl?

dsc00086_original.jpg

There's a chromed hex bolt that goes through the base of the wiper arm to attach it to the spline. If yours doesn't have a hole for the bolt, you've got the wrong wiper arm. They're available through Bob's Automobilia, etc.

Guest locoincolo

Thanks for the pointers! I'm having a LOT of fun with this Buick. Grant, it'll be fun to meet you sometime on the most awesome roadtrip ever!

On to the next probem though... my wiper transmissions are cleaned up, but seem quite frozen. Besides a few days of rest in PB Blaster... any recommendations? And are they called "transmissions" because they have a bit of gearing buried into their tiny places?

Should I give them a serious push.. or wait.

Cheers!

Your chain might be rusted. Does the shaft move at all?

You can put a nut on the shaft and with a block of wood, drive the housing off of it.

Put the nut in a vise and then drive the housing away from the vise, using a block of hardwood agasinst the top of the transmission.(forgot that part).

Then you can inspect the upper sprocket, chain, ETC.

Free up the parts and reinstall.

WD-40 is useless on most rust removal and makes a poor lubricant.

PB-Blaster is much better for rust and light machine oil after that.

Edited by Coley
More info (see edit history)

Loco,

The old 37,38 Torque Tube is THE place to go for lots of information. Look here: 1937 and 1938 Buicks www.1937and1938Buicks.com

There are listings by topic and author.

There is a specific article addressing disassembly of the wiper arm transmission that wont harm them.

It is a bit of a job to search things out, but well worth the effort. I think you'll find answers to all the questions you may have.

It was a great magazine and a tribute to the guys who kept it going for so long.

Don

Guest Grant Magrath

Don's suggestion is a good one. And it would be awesome to catch up in person one day! With the wiper transmission, if there is a bit of rust, degrease it, and soak it for a while in something with phosphoric acid as the active ingredient, wash it out in water after a good soak, then use a light oil like WD40 to get things moving freely.

Cheers

Grant

Guest Grant Magrath

Don's suggestion is a good one. And it would be awesome to catch up in person one day! With the wiper transmission, if there is a bit of rust, degrease it, and soak it for a while in something with phosphoric acid as the active ingredient, wash it out in water after a good soak, then use a light oil like WD40 to get things moving freely.

Cheers

Grant:)

Guest OLBUICKS

I bought a adapter that goes on the wiper transmission for my 38 that you don't use the acron nut. It goes over the splines and has a screw that threads in where the acorn nut screws in to hold it on. Then you can use the fine spline wiper arm like used on Chevrolets. I couldn't get the Acon Nut to start threading on the spline is the reason I installed this part.. Depends on how originial you want to keep your car. I found these on e bay..

Guest locoincolo

Several days soaking in PB Blaster and a couple of serious yanks with a pliers on the short

side of the chain loosened up both of my wiper transmissions. Thanks for all the pointers - sometimes it's just the confidence gained by a gleaning of knowlege.

I've painted my windshield divider, and now I'll have to reset each windshield half outward so it'll fit. Of course, I'd like to woodgrain the dash and the garnish molding, but I think all things in due time. For now I'll get the windshield into place and install the wipers so she looks good from the outside.

I've fabbed a new outside edge for the passenger side running board from 18G steel with a nice 1/2" radius edge and a great hem on the bottom side. Just cut the bondo and bent steel from the outside of my running board and maybe tomorrow I can tig it all together again.