Question about 47 Chry 8 pass switch?

Guest lawunder

Guest lawunder

Hi Iam starting on my next project a 1947 Windsor 8 passenger (not limo). It has a switch hole (double D stamped not drilled) half way between wiper switch and windshield (top of dash). I have 4 door and 8 pass part cars a my son has a 48 club coupe and 46 CC parts car none of those or any others I have seen have a switch there. That (47 8 pass) was OEM raido and heater delete. Does anyone know what that switch was or should be?

Edited by lawunder (see edit history)

Guest lawunder

Yes that looks like the same hole. This one and my sons 48CC are the first 46-49 I've worked on the Ply 49 1/2 and the 54 converts I had had top switchs under dash and the 49 1/2 and 50 Dodges and Chrys I have are sedans and hardtops. I have other dashes to install if I can not find out what that hole is for.

post-83585-143138919471_thumb.jpg

This hole is for a radio antenna option, which mounted on the inside of the windshield. I don't think I've ever seen one as the external antenna was the other radio option. My '42 part book indicates this was part of the skyway radio option. It also list a "Instrument Panel Antenna Hole Plug", available in woodgrain or painted.

Guest lawunder

OK what is the skyway raido ? The other 46-48s have cowl mount antenna and raido in dash, the 47 8pass has raido delete plate. Was skyway raido under dash or dealer installed?

Looking back at the parts book, the antennas were all called "skyway" antenna. I blieve this hole in the dash was used with a windshield header antenna. Also available was the cowl mounted antenna in 100" and 66" lengths. There was also a cowl mounted reel type antenna that could be cranked up and down from inside the car. This antenna was also available with an electric motor. I haven't been able to find a picture of the header antenna installation yet, but still looking.

What it looks like before I start

Great Car, and in good shape. The Hubcaps are like mine, those are 49 Chrysler caps, but heck I like em too. The 46-48 Caps were the Dog dish type, you could get trim rings for them too, good ones are hard to find.

Here is my car...

post-41564-143138920005_thumb.jpg

post-41564-143138920007_thumb.jpg

post-41564-14313892001_thumb.jpg

post-41564-143138920012_thumb.jpg

Guest lawunder
Great Car, and in good shape. The Hubcaps are like mine, those are 49 Chrysler caps, but heck I like em too. The 46-48 Caps were the Dog dish type, you could get trim rings for them too, good ones are hard to find.

Here is my car...

Yes those hubcaps are from my 49 new yorker I liked them so much I found another set. I have 3 trim rings and 10 dog dishes but I think my son wants them for his culb coupe. But we are not going for concourse neither of them have OEM motors. I like yours my son is tring to decide what color he want and he is thinking about white or light gray I'llhave him look at yours thanks.