1925 Dodge Brothers Touring--found.

Pete K.

Hello all! My name is Pete K., I just found your Dodge forum a few days ago. It seems like a GREAT place to be. Here's the story--- Last week, I just happened to be scouring my local "for sale" ad's and surprisingly, saw that a man was selling "An old Dodge", only 4 miles away. I just had to call and go check it out. As I approached the man's garages, I couldn't believe all the old car parts, everywhere! In the center of garage was a 1925 Dodge Touring car, which I couldn't tell if it was all original or a very old restoration. It hadn't been run in ages. Covered with dirt and dust--I was in Heaven! It looked as if one could pop in a battery and drive it out, if you could see through the dirt on the windshield. Well, before long, He gave me "the price" of his father's Dodge--I almost fell over. I'm thinking, "that's only ONE year's worth of property tax here in town". How could I not blurt out--SOLD! He smiled and said he really liked me since I was the only guy to show up that didn't "low-ball" his price. Then went on to say that all the parts go with the car. I had NO idea he meant ALL the parts! There is about 10 tons of car parts, Many Dodge Brothers,"22-'26?, '31 & '32 Pontiac, Studebaker, some Model A Ford... Since then, I've made 9 trips with my pick up to his property and MANY more to come. There is everything from body parts to engines, rear ends, front ends, big disc wheels, round gas tanks, Clum ignitions, steering boxes, axles, drums, radiators, steering wheels---well, everything. I had no idea my afternoon would turn up all of this. I'm so proud of my "new" Dodge. I plan to keep it as original as possible. I have a lot of questions for all you guys!!! Your kind help is very much appreciated. To top it off, my wife though I was going downtown to get a new lawnmower spark plug. BOY- was she surprised.

Edited by Pete K.
more pictures (see edit history)

Guest Bill Miller

Hi Pete,

What a great find which I'm sure will provide much enjoyment. I agree with Jason above, just get it running and drive it. And of course join the Dodge Brothers Club if you're not already a member and bring it to a meet.

Bill

Guest brian j

Super cool car. Congratulations on your "find". I agree this car should be roadworthy soon, and would be great as-is(with a little elbow grease). Are those big wing windows an original Dodge Brothers option, or aftermarket?

Hello all! Thanks for the encouraging words, Yes, I plan to "conserve" what I've got here. I'm keeping it as original as possible. A lot of good old fashioned elbow grease to clean bright work and paint. I won't try starting her up 'till I drop the pan to eyeball the bottom end first. I'm sure the pan needs a cleaning out anyway. I've gone from ZERO compression to decent compression on engine in two days by using Marvel Oil. Had a few stuck valves and probably the rings too. The original crank was under the front seat, thank God. I also plan to pull radiator, back flush block and rad. core, since I'm finding TONS of mice droppings and half chewed acorns EVERYWHERE. I hooked up my trickle charger yesterday to the battery cables---got to remember this baby is 12 volts, pos. ground. ALL the lights worked, including the stop lamp and high and low beam headlights! Even the "Northeast" horn worked and sounded great. A real strong AHHOOOGA. I've been looking at the transmission lock cylinder for a week now, thinking-where am I ever going to find a "Yale" key for this?? Well, just tonight, I was removing the rear view mirror since the glass is cracked and when I flipped it over, low and behold! there was the key, stuffed in the back of the mirror bracket! It looked like it was put there in 1944 by the dust and tarnish on it. Now if I can only find the man's lucky twenty dollar gold piece...Hmmm.

Forgot to mention, those "big wind wings" are definitely aftermarket doo-doo. They are made of clear PLASTIC! They will have to go, but not right away. I have driven open cars before and let me say, you've got to hold onto your hat in cars without any "wings", but in the hot summer, with this split windshield opened all the way up, what difference does it really make?? Just hope a big 'ole June bug doesn't find it's way into this driver's face.

Forgot to mention, those "big wind wings" are definitely aftermarket doo-doo. They are made of clear PLASTIC! They will have to go, but not right away. I have driven open cars before and let me say, you've got to hold onto your hat in cars without any "wings", but in the hot summer, with this split windshield opened all the way up, what difference does it really make?? Just hope a big 'ole June bug doesn't find it's way into this driver's face.

I dont believe D.B ever offered a wind wing that was factory installed but if its possible maybe you can replace the plastic with glass, I personally like the way they look and it would be a shame to get rid of them after all these years.

Sent you a P.M Pete.

Guest brian j

Pete, i've been BEGGING for a picture of a YALE KEY for the locks. Without one i don't know what kind of key i should be looking for. I have a 1919 DB with the yale locks, but no keys. Could you possibly post a pic of it?

Hi Brian, This is a working key for the Dodge Brothers 1925 transmission lock. When key is inserted into lock cylinder, it will turn it counter clockwise from the 2 o'clock position, back towards the 10 o'clock position, having made sure the shifter is in neutral. 10 o'clock position being in the "locked" mode. The key also has the word "security" engraved on it. I couldn't imagine locking the transmission and then losing the key. I highly doubt ONSTAR would help.---Pete.

Edited by Pete K. (see edit history)

Pete, i've been BEGGING for a picture of a YALE KEY for the locks. Without one i don't know what kind of key i should be looking for. I have a 1919 DB with the yale locks, but no keys. Could you possibly post a pic of it?

Ive been beggin for some pictures as well but they are not of a skeloten key ;)

I wonder how many different keys went to the transmissions back then. I suppose there were as many as there were "door" keys for closed cars?

Someone with a key book could answer that, I have read that there are some members here who have the books

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
Guest occrj

I've only just joined up - what a magnificent "find", so glad to hear you're going to conserve rather than restore.

Do all tourers of the 1920s have transmission locks like that?

rgds, Richard

Welcome aboard Richard! I think you'll find a wealth of information and a great group of "Dodge Brothers" here on this forum. I know I have. The transmission lock you speak of was found in some other auto makes as well as Dodge back in the day. It was provided as an extra security device above and beyond the ignition key lock. The lock on transmission can only be "set" when the transmission is in neutral. Once locked, the gear select lever will not move to any of the forward or reverse gears. In those days, the dashboards were somewhat open access for tinkering at the back of the ignition switch. If a crook got your car running, he still would find he's not able to move the car with the transmission locked. Ford on the other hand, was quite cost-conscience and did not use a trans. lock in his open cars. He had what was called the pop-out ignition, using a key, the armored cable to the distributor from the dash would be grounded out and in theory, keep the car from starting.(Model A's). This system can be hot wired quite easily. All you need is a medicine bottle cork with a small nail driven through it and a 2' length of wire. The Dodge trans. lock is a great innovation but the location of the key, sticking up on the floorboard behind the shift lever is near the heel area of the driver and passenger, just asking to be broken off if left in the lock cylinder. So, if you have a transmission lock key, keep it on your key ring with ignition key!

Edited by Pete K. (see edit history)

Guest oldsprinter

Howdy Pete! In all those parts that came with the car, would you happen to have a steering system?

That is interesting Ford didn't go with the tranny lock. They were used on Lincoln. I suppose it was a cost cutting thing with the Fords. Great car, and bless you for staying "As found", it's a great looking ride. My car, I'm sorry, was too far gone when I found it, I'm really fond of the patina 'thing' that's going on today! Enjoy :cool:

Yes oldsprinter, I've got the whole thing around here somewhere. I would need specifics on the parts you need though. I can match up what my '25 has on it, what do you need? To Steve9; Yes, Lincoln had the lock, along with Packards also. I always stay with the original stock, especially pre-war cars. They are no longer $50.00 Erector Set play things as was in the '50's. They are living history now. I had a guy near me at a car show yesterday say that he found a "super nice" 1932 Chevy sedan (all original) in a barn up in N.H.--The first thing he did was to trash the original engine and start chopping the body. This is all going on as I was sitting on the running board of my all original '31 Ford

model A pick up truck. I told him what I really though of him and his stupid antics. I let him walk, as I have too many things to do than spend a week in the local lock up for assault and battery. He was speechless, as it seems today no one speaks their mind in public.

Pete, Easy big fella! Just so know, when I'm speaking of working on my car, I meant keeping the original finishes. My 36 is 100% stock and I agree with your values on not trashing pre-war stuff. I belong to a pre-war club of all makes, and the annual picnic is a sight to behold, 100 cars of various makes , all stock!

Steve, I really wish we had a pre-war club around this county. Not THAT long ago it was like what you describe, around here. I just wonder what happened to all the great early vehicles that I remember in this area just as far back as the '70's and '80's. I suppose they are today's "barn finds"???

Steve, I really wish we had a pre-war club around this county. Not THAT long ago it was like what you describe, around here. I just wonder what happened to all the great early vehicles that I remember in this area just as far back as the '70's and '80's. I suppose they are today's "barn finds"???

Pete, Click on GOLDEN ERA AUTOMOBILE ASSOCIATION and join us! We have members all over the world.

That club sounds nice Steve, I'm still trying to find a pre-war only meet in my county, or surrounding counties. Washington State from the north of the Boston area is kind of a long afternoon drive. I would have to pack a lunch, or two...or thirty!